YellowJacket RV9

Well Known Member
Patron
I just got a great deal (thanks VAF!) on some TSO'd all-in-one wingtip lights that I couldn't pass up. They are externally mounted because of the strobe, which is fine with me considering the price. But since I won't be using the internal cutout of the new style wingtips, I was wondering if any RV-9 tips were available without the cutout/lens? I didn't see that option at the Vans website, but if I remember correctly there was an older style wingtip that maybe somebody has laying around after an upgrade?

Would love any leads or suggestions. Thanks!

Chris

Last edited:
Landing lights?

Hey Chris - you could always mount your landing lights in those cut outs.
Otherwise, it wouldn't be too difficult to fill in the depressed area where the wing tip lenses would go (assuming they've not been cut out already).

I would cut out a few layers of fiberglass (to match the lens cut out area) and epoxy into place. Use a little epoxy as possible until it all sets-up then keep adding thin coats until it's smooth and fair all around. You might even add a little thickener to the epoxy to help keep it from running, but don't do that initially when you're setting the fiberglass pieces in place, just use plain epoxy.

I should have mentioned that the wingtip lights are the all-in-one, with strobe, so need to face aft as well. Anyways, glassing over the cutout may be a good option. I will see how comfortable I feel with glass after making mounts for the lights... Thanks

Chris

If you put a combo position and strobe light on the bottom of the rudder, you can still put the lights you have in the normal cutout area. That will get you the 360 degree coverage the regs require.

I don't believe the older style tips were an option on the 9. The 9 was introduced after the new tips came around. The other model older tips won't work as the 9 wing is a narrower cord.

I don't believe the older style tips were an option on the 9. The 9 was introduced after the new tips came around. The other model older tips won't work as the 9 wing is a narrower cord.

I had a feeling that may be the case. I know I could add lights on the tail, but my goal here was saving some money by going with the all-in-one package. TSO tail lights are not cheap, and I'd rather put that money in the panel and engine.

Chris

Chris glass them over if you are not painted. Wingtips I mean :)

Edit; oops reread the post. Old Style is key word...

Last edited: