RickS

A good friend w/ a Lancair just got his glider rating and claims it is the best flight experience ever.. So now I want to also...but he lives next to the Sierra wave and I live in central Texas. Can the RV-9 be used as a tug? The man says not for pay right? But somewhere in an old RVator I remember that Van claimed using the -9 for a glider tug was one of the reasons it was developed.
Anyone else have an interest in that? It sure does seem like t would be fun!
Regards,
Rick

I'm sure performance wise, it would make a fine tug and if built to be a tug I'm sure it would work flawlessly however, if you've never seen a 172 used as a tug up close you should. The best tugs are those that have tube structure inside, like Cubs, Pawnees, and the like. The skin on stressed skin aircraft tend to try to stretch, the rivets loosen over time and pretty much ruin the plane. Talk about smokin rivets... I'm not even going to go into the dangers of being a tug pilot.

I certainly wouldn't use an RV that I built to tow a glider, tugs can be had for far less money.

You're friend is right about flying sailplanes, it's the best flying I've ever done! Texas is a great place to soar as well. Many records have been set there. A couple of well known flight come to mind and have been written about, one from Texas to Gila Bend AZ and a couple from TX to Kansas. Careful though, it is addictive :)

Rat

Ratman is right on

Stick with a rag and tube tail dragger. You can pick up Pawnees (great towplane) for a song.

The only thing that Ratman did not touch on is that towing is a blast as well.

Regulations?

I think that my letter of certification from the DAR listed glider towing as prohibited. Actually, I'm pretty sure its a prohibition for all experimental category aircraft.

Correct

Build9A said:
I think that my letter of certification from the DAR listed glider towing as prohibited. Actually, I'm pretty sure its a prohibition for all experimental category aircraft.

Yep, specifically excluded for Ameture built experimental.

Yes.... but the sample Operating Limitations also say this...

(27) Application must be made to the geographically responsible FSDO or MIDO for any revision to these operating limitations.

Try talking to your local FSDO... the AZ office was very helpful when I needed new paperwork for my Tiger....

Also don't mix-up what the commercial glider tow planes look like and your RV-9.
They probably will do more tows in one day than you would in a RV-9A in a year.... and that's why they look beat up... :)

See what Van says... he a glider pilot too... but in fibreglass.... ;)

gil in Tucson
RV-6A - finishing kit - N16GA reserved
Grumann Tiger N12GA
Schemmp-Hirth Mini-Nimbus N871T