N941WR

Legacy Member
After a little over eight hours of flying and 12 + landings we have a keeper.

All my flights to date have been at 3,000 feet or below, full rich, and without wheel pants or fairings. This is required for engine break-in. This has greatly limited the tests I would like to perform.

I have not performed any climb tests as I?m still fighting high CHT?s on cylinders 3 & 4. What else is new? Oil temps are holding steady at 190 degrees, which isn?t bad since the ramp temps have been in the high 90?s or low 100?s all week.

With only 135 hp on tap and duel P-mags, the thing jumps off the ground. I can only imagine how quickly a 160 hp or, God forbid, 180 hp -9 does! Even on these hot days, I?m off well before the 300 foot marker.

Handling qualities are typical RV, only just a little bit slower. Even though the VS and rudder on the -9 is the same as that used on the -7, it seems better matched to this plane for some reason. I have only flown a -7A a few times and I think the larger VS and rudder is a good thing.

As stable as the -9 is, on the hot bumpy days I?ve been flying, I understand the desire to have an autopilot installed for longer trips. Let?s just say that I?m very happy I installed five point Hooker Harnesses.

It is very easy to pick up a wing with rudder alone, which is a good thing. Ruddering into a turn is very easy and stable. Something I used to do when instrument flying.

Both manual trims are very effective and I?m still learning how to trim this thing out. By hour three on Sunday I had it down.

I?ve found that 65 MPH is the magic number for approach, just like I used on my first flight. This may go to 70 MPH when I have a passenger, only testing will tell.

Slow down to 60 MPH on final and it starts to sink, kind of like a -6 or -7 does at 70. Once the engine is broken in, I?ll try some landing flair stalls at altitude to see how much energy I have left at those speeds to flair.

If I come over the numbers at 70 MPH on my home field, (2300 x 30 feet. Yes, it looks more like sidewalk than a runway.) I float halfway down it before I can touch down.

Cruise speeds are yet to be worked out but in the no wind conditions I?ve been flying, I?m seeing 148 MPH on the GPS. I expect that number to go up once I get my cooling issues resolved, install the gear and pant leg fairings, and I can climb and lean it out for best power. Not bad for such a small engine.

My seats cushions are from Van?s and w/o the extra one inch piece of padding, I can see over the nose with the tail down. The Doug Bell tail wheel might have something to do with that, I?m not sure since I?ve never flown with the stock tailwheel.

The airplane tracks straight on landing, a very easy TW airplane to land. On take off, I?m surprised at how much right rudder is needed to keep it straight. If you are a low or no time TW pilot and you want a -9 but are going to build a -9A, think again. This thing is VERY EASY to handle on the ground.

My choice of Dynon EFIS D100 on the left side and EMS D10 on the right has been a good one. All of my flights have been with the engine instruments displayed on the right third of my D100 screen. The new display format (software upgrade) is VERY easy to read and interpret. On the first few flights I found myself looking at the steam gauges but I?m slowly migrating to the Dynon.

As for the assembly of my -9, there have been a few minor issues. One of the exhaust hanger nuts backed off, allowing the bolt to fall out and the exhaust to move. I don?t know how this happened but it did. It was one of the metal lock nuts, as called for in the plans. The retaining nut on the back of the carb heat knob came off, found that one during a pre-flight. The right flap push rod hole needs to be enlarged just a touch. The rod scrapes when going down but only when putting the flaps all the way while in a turn. Go figure on that one. Oh, I did have the electrical connector for the fuel flow meter come off in flight. That was kind of neat to see that I wasn?t using any fuel but the thing up front was still making noise. The 5A breaker/switch for the fuel pump doesn't stay on when the cockpit gets warm from sitting in the sun.

This coming weekend I hope to finish breaking in the engine, change the oil, do a Thorough inspection, and finish fitting the fairings to I can get some real testing done.

Lest you think all is bad, each time I fly this thing I'm amazed at how few problems I have had. The engine is sound, there are no fuel or oil leaks, the electrical system is doing what is suspposed to (except for that pesky 5A breaker/switch), the radio is clear and powerful, etc., etc., etc.

Last edited:
cooling issues.

Bill, glad that it is going well.
Keep in mind that when you add fairings and speed goes up, the cooling air will be coming in faster too. This will help out with you heat issues.

Kent

Breakin comments

Breakin isn't really that much art, more science than anything.

I'll off the following.

Most people will tell you that within 5hrs your engine is broken in. In fact, some will claim that it can be done in as little as the first flight - BUT - it needs to be done the correct way.

Basics are pretty simple.

a) engine needs to be run with high manifold pressures (whatever that takes, High RPM, and or Full throttle, and or low altitudes)
b) Your engine is basically broken in when oil usages stabilizes
c) in most engines use Mineral oil until broken in. BUT. It's better to stay on mineral for longer to make certain that you're broken in, than it is to switch too early to AD oil.

So, while low altitude flying is good, it's the MAP that you need to make sure stays high, not necessarily the altitude low :).... yes, we all know, you loose MAP in a NA engine the higher you go, but each engine combo will vary where that knee in the curve steepens.

I've posted this before, but figured I'd do it again.

Here is the How to that the Cessna Pilots Association provides on breakin procedures.

http://www.highrf.com/Rockets/035tech.pdf

Bill,
My Numbers 3 and 4 are the hottest also and I need to watch them on climbout. Saturday I pulled the cowling off and slathered some high temp sealant in the big gaps between the baffles and engine especially behind the prop. I had held off doing this because it just looks like sh*t but it was obvious that closing the leaks was more important.
Anyway, flew sunday morning and temps were good. I will test it again this evening to get a more realistic result. Ambient temps in the high 90's don't help either.
I'll let you know my results after tonights flight.

Flashing

Bruce and Bill,
A year or so ago there was considerable discussion about aluminum flashing between the fins on some cylinders causing high CHT's. Next time you have the cowl off, carefully look down between each fin gap for bridging of the gap. A hacksaw blade easily will get rid of the flashing, allowing better airflow through them.

Pierre

Pierre,
No flashing present but good point. My problem was hasty baffle installation so I could get in the air. You know, one of the last jobs to be done....
Anyway, I'm just now getting around to tying up the loose ends.

Any plans for the next catfish fry? That was the best southern fish fry this displaced yankee ever had! Can't wait till the next one. :)

pierre smith said:
Bruce and Bill,
A year or so ago there was considerable discussion about aluminum flashing between the fins on some cylinders causing high CHT's. Next time you have the cowl off, carefully look down between each fin gap for bridging of the gap. A hacksaw blade easily will get rid of the flashing, allowing better airflow through them.

Pierre
Pierre,

We did this on an local O-360 and didn't notice a bit of difference. Besides, my O-290 is clean so I know that is not it. I'm going to try and block the front two cylinders so it force more air up and over the front and down between them. This is an easy mod to make and can be adjusted by just sticking more or less aluminum on the front two cyl's.

Great report, Bill. Thanks much for the detail. We Nine builders are hangin' on every word. :D

Rupester
Mahomet, IL
9A - QB fuse

Thanks for the post.

Bill, I know you have probably seen this but. . . .

There is an issue with the fiberglass inlet ramps in the upper cowl. Apparently if you do do not close off the ends, you will lose some cooling. I read this on Walter Tondo's iste, but cannot find it again. He glassed off the ends and all of his cylinder head temp problems went away.

AltonD said:
Thanks for the post.

Bill, I know you have probably seen this but. . . .

There is an issue with the fiberglass inlet ramps in the upper cowl. Apparently if you do do not close off the ends, you will lose some cooling. I read this on Walter Tondo's iste, but cannot find it again. He glassed off the ends and all of his cylinder head temp problems went away.
Alton,

Thanks for the note, my ramps are plugged. That shouldn't be a problem for me. I sure wish that was the issue here.

jlfernan said:
Any ideas yet as to why the flap pushrods are rubbing?
Jorge,

It looks to me like the air load, in a turn, when deploying that last 10 degrees pushed the rode against my opening.

The fix was easy enough, drop the flaps, mark the bottom of the skin where it was rubbing, unscrew the rod end from the flap, file the opening as needed, put the rod end back in place, and go test fly. All is good.

Regarding my high CHT's, I put a 1" strip of aluminum tape over the front two cylinders. This brought the CHT's to within 15 degrees of one another. Still a bit high for my liking but I have to remember the OTA's for these test have been right around 100 for the last three weeks. :(

Last edited:
It is getting faster!

I may have to get my prop re-pitched but I will wait until all the gear leg fairings are installed before I go down that road.

With an OAT of 86 degrees F I recorded the following numbers.
(Keep in mind, this is w/o any gear or wheel fairings so I expect these numbers to improve. Also, I didn't get a chance to fly in all four directions ie N,S,E, & W so these numbers will change as I do more testing. I only had a 1/2 hour to fly before dark this evening.)

RPM: 2480
CHT's: 391, 388, 396, & 396
154 MPH on the GPS (Heading due East)

RPM: 2500
CHT's: 378, 384, 383, & 388
146 MPH on the GPS (Heading due West)

Remember, that is with my 135 HP O-290-D2.

After that flight I put the wheel pants on and will do some more testing this weekend. (I still need to fit the leg and intersection fairings.)

ROC was well over 1000 FPM with a ground temp in the mid 90's.

This was solo + full tanks (990 + 215 + 216) Take off weight 1421

More speed

Hi Bill,
We gained 16 MPH with all the fairings attached! Went from 186 to 202 MPH plus an additional 200-250 FPM better climb. I couldn't believe it even though I had been told that. At your slightly slower speed, I'd bet on an easy ten MPH and an extra 100 FPM, if not more.

Hurry on up and fly off Phase 1 so you can come down to the next scheduled
lunch/fly here, sometime in early November. A low-country boil is on the menu!!

Regards,
Pierre

Some real numbers

I still need to fit those fairings but with just the wheel pants on, here are the numbers I'm seeing. (The yellow line on my engine is 2600 & the red line is 2800.)

Pierre,

I don't know how you do it. I flew 5.7 hours today and my head is still moving back and forth, left and right.

Looking Good Bill!

Not a lot of power is needed to make these birds really hum along! It will get better with all the fairings on.

Bill, was that you climbing out of Long Island Airpark?

I was on the lake (today 26 Aug) and saw two RVs come in for 2 passes. One painted white/red appeared to be a 6 or 7 and the other looked like your 9 (atleast from a couple hundred feet below.) I was hoping for a 3rd pass because that's how long it took me to stop looking up in awe and grab the camera. :D It looked like great climb performance in the 90+ heat.

Thanks for posting your experiences and sharing your fun!

Stan

Hehe.. yes, that was us.. red/white was Tad and I in a -7A.. and the other one (unpainted) was Bill in his -9...

Radomir said:
Hehe.. yes, that was us.. red/white was Tad and I in a -7A.. and the other one (unpainted) was Bill in his -9...
What Radomir said.

Long Island (North Carolina, not NY) is a cool airport with a lot of very nice people.

Tad and Radomir had never been in there and I was just doing some fun flying for once so we dropped in for a visit.

Tad took one of the home owners for a ride in his -7A and then the guy (Bob)reciprocated by giving Tad a ride in his Starduster Too. Bob had built one of the first Glassair TD's back in the 80's and he said the RV flew a lot like his Glassair but with better visibility.

I'm ticking the hours off, it now has 25.7 hours since 8/5. Good thing the weather has been good on the weekends because I don't have time to flying on week nights. :(

To answer your question, the -9 does climb like crazy, even with the "little" O-290 and 90+ degrees. I'm seeing around 1,450 FPM on these hot days.

Last edited:
Let the fun begin

I flew my butt off over the Labor Day weekend. 4.4 on Saturday, 6.1 on Sunday, and 4.4 on Monday.

This brought me up to the magic 40 hours required for my Phase 1 testing. A quick signature in the log book and I was able to give Nora a quick ride.

It still needs the gear leg fairings installaed, which will happen but first I need to take Nora to CRE for lunch on Saturday, if the weather holds.

She is going to make as good a passenger as she does a bucking partner. ;)

N941WR said:
This brought me up to the magic 40 hours required for my Phase 1 testing. A quick signature in the log book and I was able to give Nora a quick ride. ;)

Wow how nice that your operating limitations allowed this. The inspector from the local FSDO had to sign off for me to enter Phase 2 and I think issued a new set of operating limitations. Funny how different things are depending on where you live. Did you use a DAR or the FAA for this?

Negative.....

Brian,
All that's required to enter phase two is a logbook entry by you, describing all the testing and verification you did during phase one. Then you automatically enter phase two which apparently is forever.

Regards,
Pierre

That's what I'm seeing here, but the FSDO did this with two different transacions and sets of operating limitations. I had to go back to get replacement ones and a logbook endorsement entering Phase 2 by them. Serious... That's why I posted this. It seems that it isn't the same everywhere. I just checked my log and when the first set of operating limitations was given to me the inspector signed my book that giving me a special airworthiness certification on Aug 14, 2004. I signed off the traditional I certifiy that this airplane has completed the 40 hours etc., etc. on Sept. 15, 04. Then on Sept. 17, 04 the FAA made another entry declaring my plane airworthy and I was given the new set of limitations. Wow, it looks like I got the ole run around.

Best,

Bryan,

I was given both sets of operating limitations at the same time. I have to keep the appropriate set of limitations in the airplane at all times.

That is odd that your FISDO would do you like that. To answer your question, my inspection was done by the local FISDO.

They gave me 50 NM and no acro limitation for Phase 1. The Inspector thought all RV's were acro capable at the time.

your tail wheel

N941WR said:
My seats cushions are from Van?s and w/o the extra one inch piece of padding, I can see over the nose with the tail down. The Doug Bell tail wheel might have something to do with that, I?m not sure since I?ve never flown with the stock tailwheel.

The airplane tracks straight on landing, a very easy TW airplane to land. On take off, I?m surprised at how much right rudder is needed to keep it straight. If you are a low or no time TW pilot and you want a -9 but are going to build a -9A, think again. This thing is VERY EASY to handle on the ground.

Being a "triker" from the start and having never had to taxi, take off or land a tail wheel aircraft, I was wondering how much ground handling authority your -9 has? You know I'm gonna build one - just curious to know how much thrust is required for taxiing or does the tail wheel turn the plane by itself without a lot of prop wash?

Does the visibility over the nose allow you to taxi without zig-zagging?

Turns out different inspectors at the same FSDO (San Jose) do it different ways. One guy gives both sets of op lims up front, the other guy makes you show up and endure a few hours more paperwork. (I use the same FSDO as Brian, who wrote above, and apparently the same inspector.)

The two guys also vary on what deserves 25 hours vs 40, and whether or not a CFI can fly with you in phase 1.

Landing Speeds

I had previously reported that I consistently used 65 MPH on final. Now with close to 55 hours on the clock I would like to clarify this.

65 MPH does work great when solo and doing full stalling landings when there no weight in the back of my light (990 lbs empty) RV-9. However, as I continue to build time in this thing, I'm finding 70 MPH w/ wheel landings works best when the right seat is full and/or there is "stuff" in back.

I have found that I was having trouble getting the flair down when using 65 MPH when hauling more than my big ?ol butt and was dropping it in (and bouncing). Very entertaining for those watching and helpful for me, since I could rack up two landings for each approach. ;)

Remember, this is for a -9 not a -9A. "A" drivers might have different issues with landing slower. Like not having the energy to raise the nose wheel, possibly?

100 Hours of flight in the -9

Ok, I have to be honest, I don't have 100 hours yet, just 99.1.

This might be a good time to give you an update on the -9 and my observations since getting it flying six months ago.

This is more for those of you still building. Those who are flying, please add in your $.02 worth.

The -9 just likes to fly, simple as that. With the little 135 HP engine I have in mine, I have lifted off in less than 250 feet solo and probably less than 400 feet at gross. Well that is not exactly true. With an empty weight of 990 lbs I doubt I have ever gotten it up to the 1750 gross.

This would be a good time to talk about adding all the goodies. First, if you are building, then you are probably building the plane you want, not the plane someone else wants you to build. Keep going, you will have your dream plane when you are finished.

My goal was to build a simple and light day/night VFR ship and to that end, I feel like it was a success.

My -9 has very comfortable leather seats covered with sheep skins. There is no interior other than high gloss gray rustolium spray paint.

There is no trim or flaps indicator, wig-wag light flasher, eBus, etc., nor do I feel any of that is necessary for the missions I have taken and plan to take. It has simple and reliable manual elevator and aileron trim.

Our fuel burn is right on the book numbers for the O-290, less than 7 GPH, which I can live with. That number will change when I swap out the prop this summer. The current prop is great for climbing but can only put out 65% power at altitude w/o over speeding the engine. Still, that produces a 165 MPH cruise and she still don't have all the fairings on her.

The insurance company has it right, with a 99.1 hours in type, I am starting to feel really comfortable flying the thing. Our last landing of the day was beautiful and effortless, even with a crosswind.

The RV-9 is an easy plane to fly, even with the little wheel in the back. If any of you are on the fence with regard to building an "A" vs. TW, build the plane you want. My day may be coming but if the first 99.1 hours are any indication, the we will enjoy many more landings together.

For some reason I still struggle to trim the -9 in flight. That may be more me than anything else. It also may be a factor of the light weight. As fuel burns off, the CG moves aft and w/o an auto pilot, I find I'm adjusting the aileron and elevator trim more than I'm used to. Not a big deal, but something to be aware of. This is no more difficult than in other planes I have flow. Also, since the thing is so light, each gallon of fuel burned off is a higher % of the weight than it would be for a heavier plane.

When giving rides, older and/or heavy people have a difficult time getting in and out of the -9. It sits taller on the gear than any of of the other RV tail draggers and I did not install the steps so stepping over the flaps and up on the wing is a challenge for some. Just as sitting down and lifting oneself up and out is.

Installing the DJM Throttle Quadrant was a good move. (Thanks Roberta for the inspiration and Dayton for making them.) Each time I fly with it, I enjoy it more and more.

The panel layout was critical to my enjoyment. The switch layout is logical and I don't have to guess where anything is.

Paying just a little bit more for the stereo intercom (Sigtronics 200S) was a smart move. We flew almost four hours today listening to good music on the wife's iPod, which helps make the trips go by faster.

The -9 climbs like crazy (Did I say that already), with the "little" O-290 I have in my plane, we have no problem cruise climbing it straight to 9,500' from 600' at 700+ FPM with a good load of people, Torque the wonder dog, and other stuff. One of these days I'm going to fly in one with an O-320 or O-360 and see what that is like.

There has yet to be one flight delay or cancellation due to the lack of a nose wheel. So, I doubt that will ever be a concern.

The tip-up vs. slider thing is over blown. Mine is a tip-up because I'm tall enough that I would have to look through the "bow" on a slider. Even in the heat of the South during July and August, I don't find myself wishing for a slider.

I do remember flying along and pointing something out to Nora only to smack my hand on the canopy because I forgot it was there. The visibility out of these things is just outstanding!

At some point I really questioned why I was building a -9 and not a -7. I used to enjoy doing acro but hurt my back a few years before starting on the -9. I have found 2G's is about all my back can take, so the -9 was a good choice at the time. (Don't even ask me about the Pitts S1 plans I just ordered.) Besides, it only takes 1.3 G's to roll the -9. :D

The -9 is a great airplane and I suspect I will continue grow in to it. Who knows, I might even add an autopilot at some time in the future.

Ok, I have to be honest, I don't have 100 hours yet, just 99.1.

I see you have over 2000 posts. You know the number of posts has an inverse relation to the number of hours flown.

When giving rides, older and/or heavy people have a difficult time getting in and out of the -9. It sits taller on the gear than any of of the other RV tail draggers and I did not install the steps so stepping over the flaps and up on the wing is a challenge for some. Just as sitting down and lifting oneself up and out is.

I'm really glad I kept the steps.

The -9 is a great airplane and I suspect I will continue grow in to it. Who knows, I might even add an autopilot at some time in the future.

As much as I like the wing leveler, the altitude hold is great. I use it almost every time I fly. Makes trimming much easier. Once you level off in the 9 it slowly gains speed and needs to be trimmed. I just take it out of alt hold a few times to make sure I have the trim set, once the speed has stabilized. Only have to set trim a time or two that way. Without the alt hold, I find myself trimming it several times until it's stable.

I just take it out of alt hold a few times to make sure I have the trim set, once the speed has stabilized. Only have to set trim a time or two that way. Without the alt hold, I find myself trimming it several times until it's stable.
Hi Cam - if you don't mind me askng, what kind of altitude hold (Trio / Trutak) and trim (manual / electric) do you have?

The reason I ask is that I am installing the Trio altitude hold. I had planned manual trim, but I've heard (from a TruTrak pilot) that the altitude system is always 'asking' for a trim adjustment. For a couple hundred $$ more, the Trio servo will automatically adjust the pitch trim motor. I'm trying to decide if I want to go this way. With your setup it doesn't sound necessary...

Thanks for any info,

I see you have over 2000 posts. You know the number of posts has an inverse relation to the number of hours flown.
Cam,

Living 45 minutes from my airport has more to do with the hours I've flown than the number of posts. Man, I wish I could get closer!

Hi Cam - if you don't mind me askng, what kind of altitude hold (Trio / Trutak) and trim (manual / electric) do you have?

The reason I ask is that I am installing the Trio altitude hold. I had planned manual trim, but I've heard (from a TruTrak pilot) that the altitude system is always 'asking' for a trim adjustment. For a couple hundred $$ more, the Trio servo will automatically adjust the pitch trim motor. I'm trying to decide if I want to go this way. With your setup it doesn't sound necessary...

Thanks for any info,

I have a manual trim and the Trutrak alt hold. It's the most basic one I think. I don't have any experience with the Trio, but I am considering one when my Navaid takes a dump.

I don't really see a problem with linking the alt hold and the trim though.

Cam

Cam,

Living 45 minutes from my airport has more to do with the hours I've flown than the number of posts. Man, I wish I could get closer!

I live only a few minutes away from my plane right now. That may change soon and I'm not looking forward to driving 45 minutes to fly my plane. Right now I can leave 20 minutes early for work and go for a 15 minute flight. The best way to start the day.