niblettda

Well Known Member
Hey all, I'm finishing up my flap install and I've got the flaps seated nicely against the fuselage. My concern is that upon full down travel of the flaps my digital inclinometer shows only 31.7 degrees travel.

Per the section 15 limits, 32 degrees (I'm not arguing that 31.7 is close enough) is minimum travel and as I recall something like 40 is max. My question is how in the heck do you get any more travel? The only way I see it would be to adjust the center lever arm length on the weldment.

I have full extension on the actuator, if I adjust any rod bearing ends it's not going to matter since the weldment is a fixed lever arm. Admittedly 30 degrees of flaps seems like plenty to me, but I'll take more if I can.

What am I missing? Am I missing something?

30 degrees flap travel is all you get on a 9. Use 10-20-30 for downwind-base-final. Easy.

30 degrees flap travel is all you get on a 9. Use 10-20-30 for downwind-base-final. Easy.

Or drop in all the flaps on downwind, slow it way down, and fly a nice slow stabilized unchanging approach. (65 mph/55 knots solo & 70 mph / 60 knots with two on board. Slip it at 70, if needed.)

Call Vans

David, since everything is prefabed in that area, I think a call to Van's is in order. Measure the stroke of the actuator just for giggles, and have that on hand.

Rick 90432

I would recon that Van's will say the .3 deg is close enough.
29 deg. is about where ours comes in at....

Last edited:
Thanks for the affirmation guys. Yeah, I'm used to the Cessna method of 10-20-30, which was what I expected. However, I just thought it weird that the manual says you could get something like 40 degrees. I just couldn't see any way possible in the -9 to do this.

With 40 degrees I could probably come to a stop 20 feet up and get someone with a ladder to let me out of the plane. :)

30 degree's

The other RV's go to 40 not sure about the 10, the huge flaps on the 9's is 30 max and your there already..

Danny..

Hey all, I'm finishing up my flap install and I've got the flaps seated nicely against the fuselage. My concern is that upon full down travel of the flaps my digital inclinometer shows only 31.7 degrees travel.

David,

That's exactly what mine dialed in at. I figured that I'd never operate above 30 degrees.