rival_95363

I'm New Here
Hello,

I was curious as to the thoughts and positions in regards to spinning an RV8/A. I have heard positive and negative positions from other friends and aircraft owners but wanted to get some "factual" feedback from VAF because I seem to get the best answers here.

Thanks in advance,

Randy

I don?t know?

I am not current low time pilot who is still building, but I saw a video on youtube a long time ago where (I think) an RV-8 was spun, about 20 revolutions. I don?t know how safe it is but it can be done.

Also if anyone can post the link...

Bill Finnell
RV-8 Fuselage
Tucson AZ

I spin my -4 solo all the time. The -8 has a larger rudder and most people do it solo often. I'd be cautious of spinning with 2 heavy weights in the airplane though.

I must ask... Why is you want to know?

Keeping in mind that each airframe might have different spinning characteristics due to how it is built and balanced, I can tell you that my -8 spins well and recovers well - but it is not like spinning a Cub! With mid-CG, the entry is fairly exciting, with the pitch-down taking you past the vertical, then the rate picking up to what I'd call pretty brisk. If you are not used to spinning, it will probably get your heart rate up. Recovery is positive and quick. I did not do spins at far aft CG's, and I didn't like how light the stick forces were getting. I have no problem spinning at solo CG's, and do it occasionally, but it is not on my list of daily acro - it tends towards zero-G in the entry, which burps oil and scatters stuff in the cockpit.

Kevin Horton probably did a much more complete spin test series, and might chime in here with his results.

Paul

Hello,

I was curious as to the thoughts and positions in regards to spinning an RV8/A. I have heard positive and negative positions from other friends and aircraft owners but wanted to get some "factual" feedback from VAF because I seem to get the best answers here.

Thanks in advance,

Randy

Does Van publish anything negative about spins in the builder's manual?

I have spun my 8A. I considered it a prerequisite for doing any other aerobatics. I did not want my first spin in this aircraft to be unintentional. When I was younger I used to spin the Aeronca Champ I flew almost every flight for fun. I don't spin my 8A for fun. Mine recovers nicely, but it's not very fun (for me).

My experiences mirror Paul's pretty much exactly, with initial pitch down being past vertical and some near zero g. The recovery happens fast. In fact I recovered from my first spin so quickly that I was a bit delayed in recognizing that fact.

If you are going to spin it have a well rehearsed plan with contingencies if plan A doesn't work.

correct, and soon to be a retired Navy guy and test pilot for Sikorsky :)

I agree with Paul 100%. I conducted more testing at even further aft CG's and while the recovery is still clean, the pitch angle becomes significantly flatter (as expected) aft of 83" with corresponding "mushy" (a technical term) rudder response and much lighter control forces (which is more about the aft CG than the spin of course). I haven't spun the -8 with a Pax even though I've demonstrated recovery at CG to 85". Why? Because GW and DA have an effect too and just because I recovered at 85" at 1500lb and 7500 ft DA doesn't mean it will do so at 1800lb, 85", and 9500ft DA.. In my testing career I cannot tell you how many times I've been surprised by a cliff in handling qualities the theory and analysis never accounted for. Also, even small differences in airplane configuration can have a significant impact to handling qualities so whatever results I post are only valid for my -8 not yours. BLUF: I will NEVER spin with a Pax until I've explored the full envelope - which will take a long, long time.

my .01

Ken

Probably repeating some info, but after 1275 hrs and maybe 100 spins, I don't feel comfortable doing this with anyone (full size adult) in the back seat. Beyond my limit of risk tollerance. I say go rent a Decathlon I'd you feel the need to spin a friend.

2 cents

I recently did the spin testing on my 8 for UK aerobatic cert. (each ind. plane has to have an aero and spinning test)

here is a video of a couple of spins i did at a forward CG.

what the camera does not show is the violence of this nose heavy spin/spiral which infact feels like a series of verticle snap rolls!!

Dont think it does the airframe much good! if you look at the ASI its at the top of the white arc in the spin

Dave

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lber1o34Gfg

Nice One Again Dave.

That looked like you did those spins just to the north of Manston. On the second recovery you can see France/Belgium on the horizon if indeed that is where you did them.

Lots of buffet in the second spin it seemed to me. Seems to spin as fast as a Bulldog. I never took one of those beyond three turns though.

Rear CG Aerobatic Limit

The impression I'm getting here is that people don't like spinning near the rear most aerobatic CG limit, 85.30". Correct?

The impression I'm getting here is that people don't like spinning near the rear most aerobatic CG limit, 85.30". Correct?
That would be affirmative.

BTW - if you want to tighten the spin, try feeding opposite aileron in as you're 1/4 to 1/2 turn in.

Last edited:
That would be affirmative.

BTW - if you want to tighten the spin, try feeding opposite aileron in as you're 1/4 to 1/2 turn in.

That'll accelerate the rotation a bit. Pushing the stick to neutral elevator will really make it go. Just be experienced in all spin modes before messing around with it. In some planes, accelerating the spin by pushing the stick forward will blank the rudder enough to prevent recovery unless you first pull the stick back again, slow the rotation, then stick fwd for normal recovery. Counterintuitive if you're in a panic. My RV would stop a stick forward accelerated spin like it hit a brick wall without having to move the stick back first.

That'll accelerate the rotation a bit. Pushing the stick to neutral elevator will really make it go. Just be experienced in all spin modes before messing around with it. In some planes, accelerating the spin by pushing the stick forward will blank the rudder enough to prevent recovery unless you first pull the stick back again, slow the rotation, then stick fwd for normal recovery. Counterintuitive if you're in a panic. My RV would stop a stick forward accelerated spin like it hit a brick wall without having to move the stick back first.
Interesting on the neutral elevator. I'll give that a try next time I'm out.

Interesting on the neutral elevator. I'll give that a try next time I'm out.

Stick forward reduces AOA (drag) as well as reduces the angle between the aircrafts axis and the spin axis. This causes a reduction of rotational intertia, and since angular momentum must be conserved, the spin rotation increases dramatically. Just like when a figure skater pulls their arms and legs in during a spin.