pvalovich

Well Known Member
I know this has been covered before, but I must be using incorrect terms to search - nothing comes up.

I finally declared panel wiring / pitot-static victory and rivited the fwd fus top skin - but ended up with 3 rivits that cannot be bucked. 2 of the holes go into enclosed areas with no access; the third is the fwd-most on the left side right aft of the firewall. A vertical QB gusset rivit head prevents access to the horizantal skin rivit.

I'm tempted to use pop rivits in these 3 places; the thought of spending $ on a cherrymax tool for 3 rivits hurts. However, I don't want in any way to compromise structural integrity.

What did other RV-8 QB folks do?

You can pull the Cherry rivets with a standard pop rivet tool. I think that's what most everyone does.

regular pop rivet squeezer

Yes, the cherry max rivets can be pulled no problem with a pop rivet hand squeezer. I used the cherry max rivets in the gear towers. Used mostly 4-4s and a few 4-5s (depending on the callout). If those will work for you (the cherry max), let me know and I'll throw some in the mail to you. You can PM me or email (under profile). Dave