Joe

Well Known Member
Can someone building a current RV-8A fuselage answer these three questions, please?

1. What is the current date of the first page of the fuselage section. My preview plans show page 8-1 dated 5/28/04. Is there anything newer?

2. Half of that same first page and DWG 20 is devoted to "Jig Construction". Is the fuselage jig really required for the newer matched-hole kits? Are my preview plans just grossly out of date?

3. Is there anything in the current fuselage plans similar to wings' section "FIRST, A NOTE TO QUICKBUILDERS"? That is, do the fuselage plans call out what is specifically needed for quick build? Or is the builder left to puzzle it out?

Thanks,
Joe

puzzle it out

There is a somewhat generic statement in the plans (although I think it is in the wings section) that says that it is up to the QB builder to verify that all the steps have been done, so they don't specifically say, "QB builders, start here".

I wish they would, but you can see their dilemma, they don't have as much oversight of the QB process as they might like, and sometimes Bonanza builders skips a step or completes something that is supposed to be left incomplete. I had extra rivets bucked into holes that were supposed to be left open in the fuselage to enable installation of the empennage fairing, as well as some other minor things.

So, I'm pretty sure no jig is necessary for the new matched-hole fuselage, but otherwise, its up to you to confirm that all steps in the instructions are done.

RV-8A

I did not need to build a jig. In fact the order of the build is quite different than the non matched hole kit. The whole fuselage essentially went together on the work bench. I was really amazed at the level of precision in the kit. Good luck. Tim Pethel

Puzzle It Out

Thank you, Steve and Tim.

Alas, this confirms what I suspected: the plans haven't been updated and sadly trail the mostly excellent CNC parts and QB labor. I can't understand why it's so hard for Van's to text-edit the old plans to bring them up to date or at least publish an errata sheet.

Of course, it's not impossible to puzzle it out as numerous builders have done before me (including both of you) but the thought of taking on a bunch of unnecessary headaches has my build stalled at this point.

Can someone building a current RV-8A fuselage answer these three questions, please?

1. What is the current date of the first page of the fuselage section. My preview plans show page 8-1 dated 5/28/04. Is there anything newer?

2. Half of that same first page and DWG 20 is devoted to "Jig Construction". Is the fuselage jig really required for the newer matched-hole kits? Are my preview plans just grossly out of date?

3. Is there anything in the current fuselage plans similar to wings' section "FIRST, A NOTE TO QUICKBUILDERS"? That is, do the fuselage plans call out what is specifically needed for quick build? Or is the builder left to puzzle it out?

Thanks,
Joe

Gee Joe, when did you order your preview plans?

1. I have a set of preview plans that I have had for a couple years dated 11/5/2008. Page 8-1 is dated 4/26/07

2. There is no mention of jig construction on page 8-1. I don't find a DWG 20 in my set of preview plans. Yours could be out of date.

3. Page 8-1 has a line stating that if you are building with an quickbuild fuselage then begin construction on page 42.

I am not building an 8, just have the preview plans to dream over.

Tony

I'm glad you piped up, Tony. This is very different from what I had been led to believe. And I'm glad to hear it!

The preview plans are circa 2005. It took me this long to finish the empennage and wings (and move to a new house/hangar in between).

Thanks,
Joe

Got my answers straight from the proverbial horse's mouth (Van's). Answering my own questions (for the archive):

1. The current RV-8/8A fuselage plans are dated 12/2/08. In addition, the old fuselage drawings (11A and 19 - 43) have been totally replaced by the updated drawings 60 - 85).

2. There is no longer a fuselage jig (as mentioned above).

3. As Tony mentioned above, the QB fuselage steps are clearly enumerated.

All is good!