Scremm

I'm putting a panel together for my RV8a in the hopes of getting it flying within a year. It's been 10 already and I'm making a push to finish and I'm looking for a little advice from anyone who is willing to give it. I am trying to put together a day/night VFR ship with potential to upgrade and polish off my IFR rating sometime in the future.

So far I have a Flightcom 403 and a Garmin GTX-327.
I'm looking to buy a Dynon 180 and a Garmin SL30 to go with it.
If it makes sense, in the future I may put in a MD-200-306 indicator. I can plan my wiring harness being built to easily accomodate the indicator.
Is there any reason not to use the Dynon for output to the encoder?

I also have a traditional airspeed indicator, altimeter and VSI that I bought years ago before all the electronic EFISs became possible. I am currently thinking that with the Dynon I'll have plenty of room left over to install all or some of them as back ups.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

panel

Claude,

I too am building an 8A that I want to use for light IFR as well. If I may suggest....you would probably want two radios which means that you would be better off with an audio panel instead of an intercom. The second radio can be an ICOM which you can buy for less than $700. For IFR work having two radios is very handy to have the freqs set up in sequence before you need them. For VFR the SL30 would probably be just fine, with a handheld backup.

Speaking of backups, I would want backup altitude and airspeed indicators, the round ones for VFR and would personally believe them essential for IFR. A round turn coordinator backup is also advisable.

I do not know if the Dynon you are looking at has the capability of presenting a CDI display which can be driven by the SL30, (I think it does) if it does it will save you about $1500 for a separate CDI. If the Dynon does not, the GRT Sport does. The sport also interfaces very nicely with the SL30 and can tune its frequencies. The SL30 has its own CDI for backup.

There are lots of things to consider. I hope that I have not confused you.

Last edited:
sample panel

Claudio,

Perhaps this will give you some ideas. It is the panel that I currenty plan for my 8A.

panel16bjg9.jpg

The EFIS is a GRT sport which communicates very well with the SL30. Below the EFIS is an AVMAP IV which I plan to use if they come out with a weather feature.

The radio stack has:

PS Engineering 8000B audio panel
SL30
ICOM 200 inexpensive second radio
Garmin 327 transponder

I have round backup Alt, Airspeed, Turn indicator

I have the EIS on the panel, although information from it is also displayed on the GRT Sport.

The G meter/clock is a GT50 that you can buy from spruce for about $159.

My autopilot, which many people believe to be essential for IFR is a trio.

I chose not to use an IFR approach certifed GPS because of the expense, not only of the intial outlay, but the updates necessary to keep it legal. I can always add an IFR GPS by replacing the AVMAP if I decide later to do so.

I tried to fashion a cost effective panel that would meet my mission requirements.

Everyone has a different idea of what they want in the panel based upon mission, budget and personal taste.

I designed the panel using Bill Vondanes site, epanelbuilder.com. I hope that posting it here is not a violation of his rules, if so, I will take it down if he requrests that I do so.

Last edited:
IFR GPS

I don't know the capabilities of all the equipment you listed but you may want to go to airnav.com and check out the approaches available at airports that you are likely to visit. You will find that some/many only have a GPS approach.

Also if you have to fly three different type approaches to get your IFR ticket will your system allow that?

approaches

Ron,

You make a good point. In fact, the airport nearest the place that I plan to move to in a few years has 3 gps approaches and one ILS. I think we can expect the GPS approach to be the most common in the future. I also expect that at some point I will change out my non IFR GPS to an IFR GPS. For the time being, my planned panel will suit me well.

With my panel I can indeed do three different approaches, ILS, VOR and localizer. I will take my IFR checkride in a spam can. It would be hard to find an examiner who will give me a checkride from the backseat of an 8.

Some degree of flexibility is build into my designed panel.

I do appreciate your comments and observations and I encourage others to chime in. I am open to other suggestions and my panel is not set in stone.

Thanks for your input.

When you hook up your pressure system will you split the pitot pressure to your round ASI and your GRT?
It is interesting that your avionics are on the right side of your panel. Will you fly left handed? I plan on placing the avionics on the left so I can reach them with my left hand and keep my right on the stick.

Looks like I'll be searching for an audio panel and a backup comm or at least prepare to install one in the future. I may be selling my intercom and VSI if this comes to pass.

Thanks for the ideas.
Keep them coming.

Dear Claudio:

Thank you very much for considering our PMA8000B.

I'm writing you from Oshkosh and wanted to let you know that we have just introduced a new audio panel here dubbed the PMA9000EX.

This is our very first "Experimental Audio Panel" that we have introduced, and because it intended never receive FAA TSO, our engineers threw everything we possibly could in it and not be hampared by TSO requirements.

Including a built in daylight viewable LCD display for operation and setup, MP3 Player, Bluetooth for interfacing a telephone, and many more user setup configurations.

We have had several RV builders come and take a look yesterday and their comments tell me that we hit the nail on the head.

You can see the "Homebuilders Audio Panle" at www.ps-engineering.com/pma9000EX.shtml.

Sincerely,
Mark Scheuer
Founder and CEO
PS Engineering, Inc.

tonyjohnson said:
Claudio,

Perhaps this will give you some ideas. It is the panel that I currenty plan for my 8A.

panel16bjg9.jpg

The EFIS is a GRT sport which communicates very well with the SL30. Below the EFIS is an AVMAP IV which I plan to use if they come out with a weather feature.

The radio stack has:

PS Engineering 8000B audio panel
SL30
ICOM 200 inexpensive second radio
Garmin 327 transponder

I have round backup Alt, Airspeed, Turn indicator

I have the EIS on the panel, although information from it is also displayed on the GRT Sport.

The G meter/clock is a GT50 that you can buy from spruce for about $159.

My autopilot, which many people believe to be essential for IFR is a trio.

I chose not to use an IFR approach certifed GPS because of the expense, not only of the intial outlay, but the updates necessary to keep it legal. I can always add an IFR GPS by replacing the AVMAP if I decide later to do so.

I tried to fashion a cost effective panel that would meet my mission requirements.

Everyone has a different idea of what they want in the panel based upon mission, budget and personal taste.

new audio panel

Mark,

That is a great audio panel. Your are right on track I think with the features you offer. The bluetooth telephone connection is an excellent idea.

I am sure your product will do well in the experimental community. PSE enjoys a reputation for high quality products. Perhaps I bought my 8000B a little too early.

mscheuer said:
Dear Claudio:

Thank you very much for considering our PMA8000B.

I'm writing you from Oshkosh and wanted to let you know that we have just introduced a new audio panel here dubbed the PMA9000EX.

This is our very first "Experimental Audio Panel" that we have introduced, and because it intended never receive FAA TSO, our engineers threw everything we possibly could in it and not be hampared by TSO requirements.

Including a built in daylight viewable LCD display for operation and setup, MP3 Player, Bluetooth for interfacing a telephone, and many more user setup configurations.

We have had several RV builders come and take a look yesterday and their comments tell me that we hit the nail on the head.

You can see the "Homebuilders Audio Panle" at www.ps-engineering.com/pma9000EX.shtml.

Sincerely,
Mark Scheuer
Founder and CEO
PS Engineering, Inc.
This is very nice, Bluetooth, MP3, etc. An SD-RAM slot on the front instead of the fixed 512 MB memory capacity would have been even better. Can you record radio transmissions on this flash? I don't see the USB port on the front. How is the USB connected?

Trade in

Tony, perhaps Mark from PS will allow a generous trade-in for the new system. It never hurts to ask. I hear "NO!" all the time from one type question. Maybe you will hear "Yes" if you email them and ask about a trade-in.

which hand?

Scremm said:
When you hook up your pressure system will you split the pitot pressure to your round ASI and your GRT?
It is interesting that your avionics are on the right side of your panel. Will you fly left handed? I plan on placing the avionics on the left so I can reach them with my left hand and keep my right on the stick.

I originally thought it best to put the radio stack on the left, since I am right handed. Then I read a post by Paul Dye who addressed the issue and caused me to rethink it.

I came to the conclusion that I can fly with either hand, although better with the right. Manual dexterity is better with my right hand for tuning radios, etc. I have read that the Air Force and Navy have different approaches to this issue, each having the radios on a different side. I comes down to personal preference. My current plan is to have the radio stack on the right. I am still in the planning phase, so anything can change.

Another option is to put the radio stack in the middle under the EFIS (if it will fit) and put the AVMAP or other GPS on the right. Actually, now that I think about it, that might be a good idea!

You might go to epanelbuilder.com and play around with some designs. I would be interested in what you come up with.

Regarding the pitot line, I have not thought that far ahead.

Last edited:
rv8panelaw4.jpg
[/URL]

This is what I have so far. I would like to keep it symmetrical. The G-meter is there only because I cut a hole years ago and have to fill it with something. I will probably put the compass there instead. The Dynon has a g-meter as part of the package so it is duplicative.

I did move the avionics to the middle. I agree with you that it makes sense to be able to use either hand. All my previous flying has been with right hand on the throttles and radios and after experimenting at home I think my left hand may not be up to the job. In which case I would like to have help from the other hand.

The AP or Turn Coord will probably have to wait for a future time. There is plenty of room for a future install of something like a Garmin 296 GPS. I don't feel the need to have a GPS hard installed in the panel and this would be a good compromise.

The VSI may go away as if I truly do need a backup the airspeed and altitude will get the job done. I would prefer to have a backup turn coord.

And of course I included a few warning lights across the bottom. What they are for is up in the air.

thoughts

Claudio,

I like the idea of the radio stack in the middle and might consider that change on my panel.

G meter issue: I will also have a gmeter on the GRT however it is perhaps harder to see while manuvering so I put another Gmeter which is also a clock, on the panel. I put it high on the panel so that I could see it without lowering my eyes into the cockput too much.

VSI issue: The VSI is one of the least useful instruments and takes up panel space that could be used for something with more value. Vertical speed is alsom displayed on my GRT and perhaps on your Dynon as well. I agree with you that you might replace it with a trun coordinator which is of more value and can provide critical information of the Dynon goes toes up. Even better would be an attitude indicator which can keep you right side up. The trutrack product that is also part of the autopilot system would be a great choice. In the meantime, until you go with an autopilot I would use a turn coordinator and omit the VSI.

Since you have an SL30 you have IFR capability. If you want an IFR panel I think it is important to have the ability to fly partial panel, therefore the redundant attitude instrument.

Thanks for sharing your panel ideas.

Part of my design philosophy is to make it easy to upgrade to an IFR GPS later requiring some flexibility in the panel design.

w1curtis said:
This is very nice, Bluetooth, MP3, etc. An SD-RAM slot on the front instead of the fixed 512 MB memory capacity would have been even better. Can you record radio transmissions on this flash? I don't see the USB port on the front. How is the USB connected?

Hi William:

Actually, the USB port is that small round hole in the upper right hand corner. You can also directly plug in a memory stick and play the files directly off the of the memory stick.

Hope this helps.
Mark Scheuer
PS Engineering, Inc.

PMA9000EX

What a cool product ! And the number one feature of this audio panel is ..... wait for it ............

"Not FAA Approved" :D

That means affordability and minimum baffoonery for installation.

Nice work by the folks at PS Engineering !

Mark,

While all the new features of the new audio panel puts it up there as far as "cool factor", after I came back down to reality, I'm not sure they justify an additional $400 cost over the PS8000B. I'm sure there will be many takers at the $2395 list price but just as many will instead go with the 8000B and spend the extra $400 on an external MP3 player and a cord for their cellphone to the audio port. Just my $0.02.