jeffmoreau

Well Known Member
Can someone help me? I have fitted my new Vetterman exhaust to my RV8A which has a Superior XP I0 360 A1AD2 installed. This as you will note from the engine designation has the new metal cold air sump.
My problem is with the heat muff that came with the Vetterman exhaust.
I am aware that with my exhaust that the muff can only be mounted on the number 1 cylinder's exhaust. Where to I route the Scat tubes.
Any photos of a similare installation would be greatly welcomed. I am EXHAUSTED trying to figure this out (pun intended).
Thanks in advance for your help.

Doesn't anyone have a photo of a heat muff on an RV8A with a Superior Engine?
You guys are the best. Certainly someone must have a photo.

Heat muff

I have an RV7A with Superior IO-360 and a forward facing sump and fuel injector on the new cold air sump just mounted.

There are several problems I am having installing controls & heat muff with the new superior cold air sump.

1. The exhaust (#1 pipe) that the heat muff is supposed to go on will not work because the #1 exhaust pipe is 1/8" from the #1 cold air tube which does not leave enough room to install the heat muff. Sent picture and explaination to Mr. vetterman a week ago and received no response yet. I sent my muff to Rick and he will make me a new one when we can determine where we can put it.

2. Mixture controls from Van's will not install properly on the sump. It is supposed to install, according to the picture, underneath the lip of the sump in the forwars left side. It will not install there due to a boss there that is unsued and has a plug screwed into it. This boss comes forward and is in the way of the place the mixture control is supposed to be installed. This boss was not on the Ryton sump. So, I installed it above the sump and I thnk I can make it fit. It does change the geometry significantly. I had to make a 1" long spacer to hook up the mixture control arm to the arm on the fuel injector. Also will have to adjust one of the rod end bearings out to the max as well as the mixture control stand off adjusting nuts.

3. Throttle cable was too short by 1,5 to two inches. Not sure why or if the sump caused that.

4, The bosses on the bottom of the sump are at an angle and the throttle stand off piece will not fit. The picture that came with the installation instructions shows (I assume) a Lycoming engine, with forward facing sump with the boss for the throttle control standoff further aft then the Superior sumps bosses and the bolt holes going from left to right instead of at an angle. That means I will have to design a new standoff for the throttle.

I called Van's and they said I was on my own since it was a Superior engine.

Sorry I do not have pictures yet. I will take some and try to post them. I have yet to post any pictures on the web site.

This is a long post but I have lost much time in trying to make go arounds.

Mixture and throttle controls

Carl,

I too am working amongst other things on the mixture and throttle for my Superior IO360 with horizontal draft and the new aluminum sump.

FWIW I filed away the part of the mixture bracket that was fouling the plug on the front of the sump. You have to remove a fair amount of metal. It still seemed pretty stiff at the end of that process and I don't think it would break, but just for fear I welded a piece of steel onto it to beef it up. I will post some pictures this evening when I get home. This modification of the bracket means that I will be able to preserve the geometry of the mixture control.

I haven't done the throttle bracket yet tho I have made some drawings. I did a trial fit of a mock-up bracket made out some aluminum angle. The throttle control arm fouled the number 1 cylinder exhaust and also I wasn't happy with the geometry, having been warned about the possibility of insufficient travel to get the range of full power to complete idle. I've sent the arm back to Precision in order to exchange for the alternative straight (ie not cranked) arm which is also slightly shorter. When I get the new arm I will finalize the bracket but already I can see that it will be important to position the flange that the engine end of the throttle cable fastens to, so as to get the proper geometry and travel.

I got a 60" cable for the throttle and it looks like it will be just long enough - another couple of inches would be advantageous though. It will also be just over the exhausts for numbers 1 and 3 cylinders so I was going to put some firesleeve on the cable.

This thread has a couple of pictures of the mixture bracket marked out for filing (top and bottom were transposed -oops)and the offending sump plug. I had to file off more than I marked.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=28575

Hope that is helpful.

Chris