jeffmoreau

Well Known Member
Has anyone here installed flexible brake lines on an RV8 or 8A?
If so, how have they performed for you?
Where did you have them made?
Any and all comments and suggestions are most welcome.
Thanks

Has anyone here installed flexible brake lines on an RV8 ........Any and all comments and suggestions are most welcome.Thanks
I made up my own flexible brake lines using Aeroquip 303-4 hose and Aeroquip 491-4 hose fittings. It is not a difficult assembly for the homebuilder to fabricate. While not flight tested on my RV-8 fitted with Grove gear, ground operations have proved normal and I anticipate troublefree performance on these hose assemblies just as the nearly identical hoses I assembled and fitted to my old Cessna 150 and used for many troublefee years.

nqs5zn.jpg

Flex brake lines

Another option is to use the flexible ends meant for a grease gun. Readily available, inexpensive, and meant for high pressure. However the ends are NPT.

I got mine from Bonaco

I made an aluminum angle bracket that attaches to the wheel fairing plate, and holds a bulkhead elbow fitting, this makes the transition from the aluminum brake line tubing to the flex line. 13" flex line forms a 180degree loop inside the wheel fairing.

Check the flair

Earl's has off the shelf, stainless steel wrapped teflon brake lines in just about any length needed: www.anplumbing.com

Please be careful when ordering "Off The Shelf" stuff from automotive houses----be SURE they are furnishing the correct flair angle.

Lots of automotive supplys are now carrying AN fittings, be sure to check.

RV-8 flexible brake lines

I installed a braided brake line just the way Rick Galati did in his pic. But at this annual I had to change my brake pads and the straight fitting kept me from removing the caliper; it would not clear the arm that supports the wheel pants. I had to open the line by removing the straight fitting to get the caliper off. So, I now have to add fluid and bleed the brakes again (which is a messy job and one which I don't like.) It looks like I have to use a 90 degree elbow on the caliper and a longer brake line to avoid this problem in the future. Have anyone else run into this? Do you just live with opening the brake lines or has someone come up an ingenious solutions?

John Ciolino
RV-8
N894Y