jferraro17

Opulence, I has it...
I am desperately looking for a picture...even under construction. All I can find are -8.

Anybody?

Thanks-

Joe

I believe he was looking for 8A pictures with a fastback mod. I googled that and didn't see any (which he probably did, too).

Still looking, Joe!

b,
d

Call Brian at ShowPlanes, IIRC, there was one in the shop when I was there last week.

Hopefully, he can email you a shot or two.

What's this "Google" thing? I've never heard of it :rolleyes:

Mike-

Brian has no pics, unfortunately. He was the first one I asked when my online search came up empty. He did provide a nice list of what I need to delete from the Fuse kit--which ships in less than 4 weeks, so I need to make the decision, thus need the picture--quickly!

Joe

Last edited:
A guy in western kansas has an 8A fastback in progress, if I remember correctly it is the one at showplanes Mike mentioned (does it have a Barrett -390 hanging on the front?).

If so, I have seen progress pictures of the plane at local EAA meetings. However, I don't have the owners contact information. Maybe if you beg you can get a picture from showplanes on another try?

Yep, the one I saw had a 390 on it.

By the way, I was quite impressed with the ShowPlanes setup. Lots of thought went into the product.

Although my main concern is the additional interior width that comes with the tip over, the access to the back side of the instrument panel, and the canopy latch system were very nice to discover. Canopy latches in 3 places, and has a taxi/vent position that will really help cool off the interior.

His cowl is also quite nice.

Last edited:
I think most people do the fastback for looks, and because the 8A is so goofy looking in the first place, there isn't much reason to build a 8A fastback. There are people that like the 8A look, but most are building for the 'practicality' of the nosewheel.

Joe, build whatever you want. Don't let the sabelotodos sway you from building the plane YOU want. I tuned them out and have absolutely no regrets.

snip... and because the 8A is so goofy looking in the first place, ...snip

I gotta disagree. I think the -8A below is pretty wicked awesome looking....and with a fastback mod it would look even more like a T-6A Texan II (example pic)

LSideN2D.jpg

I gotta disagree. I think the -8A below is pretty wicked awesome looking....and with a fastback mod it would look even more like a T-6A Texan II (example pic)

LSideN2D.jpg

Kinda an inside joke in the Chino group over here now... no disrespect meant to those who like the 8a's looks.

I do think that the majority of people build the fastback to make the 8 look more like the Rocket (which is awesome IMHO) and the -a doesn't coincide with that goal.

By all means build the airplane you want! I was going to try to photoshop up a 8A fastback for you, but Photoshop isn't working on my computer anymore... I guess I need a version thats newer than 8 years old. :)

8A fastback

Joe, I have an 8A fastback in progress, all metalwork is finished, been putting a-lot of time into the fiberglass. Currently I dont have the gear under it in order to ease entry and egress during final stages. I also purchased showplanes cowel which is about 3 inches longer than stock. I felt the look needed stretched out in order to make the plane look proportionately balanced. I can email you pics but currently it looks like every other 8 with fastback. Is there something in particular you were looking to view?

Krash,
I will defend to the death your right to disagree, but the 8A always reminds me of that guy on "Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In", the one who'd go around riding the little tricycle. You remember...he'd peddle furiously all over the place, and when he came to a stop...he'd fall over. I keep waiting for the 8A to fall over. Straight 8's rule! :D

Hope you get a laugh remembering,

Pat-

THANKS!

I get your point about it looking like all the -8 pics I can already find. You're right, I want to see how it looks on the gear. I had the same thought about the cowl, but thought I'd cross that bridge when I got there.

Did you ever have it on the gear with the TDeck on? Any pics?

How did you make the call on these two items, did you see one somewhere else?

Whatever you think might help: jferraro16 at yahoo.com

Joe

Just DO IT Joe!

Jamie is dead on. Do one and lets see it. I think it would look cool. Showplanes is a great look.

Joe, I have an 8A fastback in progress, all metalwork is finished, been putting a-lot of time into the fiberglass. Currently I dont have the gear under it in order to ease entry and egress during final stages. I also purchased showplanes cowel which is about 3 inches longer than stock. I felt the look needed stretched out in order to make the plane look proportionately balanced. I can email you pics but currently it looks like every other 8 with fastback. Is there something in particular you were looking to view?
Joe,

I had the chance to meet Pat and see his 8A fastback when I was home visiting Mom for Easter. His plane looked fantastic with top rate craftsmanship!

When he is finished, it will look outstanding, I suspect.

Pat, how is Froggies -10 coming? Has he flown off his time yet?

Robby--

Yeah, I'm pretty much there, just wanted to be sure my "vision" wasn't too unrealistic.

Flying in the morning, then calling Van's from the layover to delete the parts I won't need before they crate it up.

Joe

Hey Bill-
My problem lies with the "top-rate craftsmanship" part :eek:;)
Joe

Joe, I'll scoot over and help you with it (oh wait, you wanted a craftsmanship improvement...never mind).:D

Seriously, when you need extra hands call.

Last edited:
Yeah but, how. . .

. . . would it look with a Showplanes Fastback and Cowl with an IO540, a chopped down Todd's tinted canopy and a Glassair III style set of Retracts?

Whoops. . . Sorry, I lost my bearing. . . :D

LSideN2D.jpg

Fast back

Joe
We did the Fast back and love the look. About ready to fly and we are hoping to see a faster plane. When you contact Vans for your deletions there are a few more items to delete than the list Brian gives you, at least that was the case 15 months ago. We ended up with several extra parts that we had spent time on preping for assembly only to realize we did not need them. Brian may have his list more complete now. Let me know and I can tell you the parts that we got extra.
jim

fastback 8A

Bill, thanks for the kudos, give me a heads up when you venture this way again. Frogmans 10 is complete, painted, flying. faster than his 4. beautiful plane.

Joe, sorry no pics with gear under it. IMHO the fastback looks a little squatty unless the cowl is stretched and use a 15" spinner. Once I put the gear under her I can send you some pics.

Jim--

Sorry for the formating, but here's the list:

Standard build fuselage kit
P/N Description
F-825PP Aft fuse. Skin
F-816APP-L Cockpit side rail
F-816APP-R Cockpit side rail
WD-814-PC Windscreen support
F-833C Aft seat top

Quickbuild fuselage kit
WD-814-PC Windscreen support
F-833C Aft seat top

Quickbuild/Standard build finish kit
WD-642-PC Slider canopy handle
WD-819-PC Canopy frame
C-802-L pre-preg Canopy skirt
C-802-R pre-preg Canopy skirt
C-803-L Canopy rail
C-803-R Canopy rail
C-805 Canopy slide spacer
AS3-063X1X48 AL strip
Bag 905 Canopy rivet AACQ-4-4
Bag 876-1 Canopy hardware 8/8a
Bag 867-6 Misc. Finish hardware

See anything missing? I'll call Van's Tomorrow after you take a look.

BTW, you gotta have a pic for me right?
:D

Thanks
Joe

Joe, I'll scoot over and help you with it (oh wait, you wanted a craftsmanship improvement...never mind).:D

Seriously, when you need extra hands call.

Oh don't worry, you're already on the "crate duty" list. Downside of not having to be in your cube all day;)

J

Are you the Innodyn Jim?

Joe
We did the Fast back and love the look. About ready to fly and we are hoping to see a faster plane. When you contact Vans for your deletions there are a few more items to delete than the list Brian gives you, at least that was the case 15 months ago. We ended up with several extra parts that we had spent time on preping for assembly only to realize we did not need them. Brian may have his list more complete now. Let me know and I can tell you the parts that we got extra.
jim

....that I think you are? What's the latest update, please?

Thanks,

I was thinking about this thread on the way home from the airport last night and it occurred to me that during WWII the P-47 and P-51 both started out as razor backs and in an effort to make them better they were converted to bubble canopies.

Fast forward 60+ years and now we have a bunch of RV guys who are converting bubble canopies to razor backs.

Keep going guys, your airplanes are going to look cool!

Now if someone would build an -8 razor back and put an air intake on top of the canopy like a P-51A, that would be cool!

Bill--

Yes and no. The early -40s and 51s had the razorback, but they also had the small segmented glass, "window pane" canopy...if you can even call it that.

http://www.mustangsmustangs.com/p-51/survivors/pages/42-103293.shtml

http://www.richard-seaman.com/Aircraft/AirShows/Vandenburg2004/Highlights/P40.jpg

The RV-8/8A fastback retains the canopy, and in the Showplanes version, even eliminates the windscreen bar...much like a 7/9 tip-up. My 6 o'clock vis may be exposed with the fastback mod, but that's just to lull the bad guys to sleep ;)

Anywhoo, you're right. It's funny that it seems like a regression. If I could only figure out a way to fit a Merlin into an RV-8 :)

BTW, deleted parts from my kit today with Barb, so its a done deal now:eek:

Joe

Anywhoo, you're right. It's funny that it seems like a regression. If I could only figure out a way to fit a Merlin into an RV-8 :)

I've got a nice new 405hp LS6 sitting on the stand here, wistfully looking for a good home....:):cool::D

That would give you a super super fastback 8. I can see 4000+ fpm climbs for you in my crystal ball.

Last edited:
I was thinking about this thread on the way home from the airport last night and it occurred to me that during WWII the P-47 and P-51 both started out as razor backs and in an effort to make them better they were converted to bubble canopies.

Bill,
The bubble conversions on the P-51 and P-47 were done for one reason...visability! Fighter pilots need to be able to check their own six. The razorback is more aerodynamic than the bubble, and the P-51 actually lost some top speed after the conversion.

I like 'em both, and wouldn't turn down either one if I had the chance (and change) to buy one.

Best,

Boy, I do not know if I can keep up with you guys on these threads.

Had to work today and yesterday. But did make it down to the airport this afternoon to get some work done. Got the wing tips on permanently. Got the oil in her and we had time to try to start her up for the first time. No luck as we found that we had one engine oil plug not in right.

Yes Pierre I am the guy with the Innodyn Turbine, or at least I had the turbine. Still no word from them as to what is going to happen next. Winter project might be to put a piston engine on her and get it back flying. Anyone got a good line on engines and a prop??

Joe, sorry not to get back to you on the parts list. If you are doing the QB, Brian's list should be good. We did SB and had a few things like bulk heads on the upper aft skin.

Okay, I need help here. How do I post pictures easily? I do not have a website and I noticed some photos are posted straight to the thread. How do you do that? Also can not figure out how to scale down a photo for the avatar. All my photos are way too big.

Hopefully we are going to get her started in morning. Should have our inspection next week. Will take some photos to post, if I can learn how to post them!! LOL

jim

Maybe you can help DR

Joe, since DR has offered to help you, maybe when done you can help him with a new fastback for Tinkerbell. I think there's enough plexi that with gentle application of heat you might be able to get it to fit.

drqw4.jpg

photo fix

Thanks Doug for the photo fix, but how do I do it like the one Webb has in the thread?

She flew today!!! Four flights already and Larry (also the test pilot) took it home tonight. Almost 3 hours flown off already!! Can't wait to get her going myself.
jim