weathers

Has anyone fit an O-320-E2A in a RV-8A? Does anyone know if this engine will work? Van's wasn't sure since they had never tried and the engine has a straight riser sump. I know there has been one installed in a RV-8.

There have been several people put O-320's in their -8A's. Check out www.rv8a.com for an example. From what I understand, if you decide to put in an O-320, the performance numbers Van gives are pretty much dead on as to what you will get.

Let us know what you decide...I personally think the O-320 in the -8A would be a nice economical choice. You'll keep the weight light as an added benefit :)

Good luck :)

Definitely

Hi Weathers,
Bear in mind that there really are no SLOW RVs! Well, I'll qualify that by saying that if you build it light and straight and don't have a bunch of protruberances etc, they're all fast.

Your direction is exactly what Van had in mind for the best combination of handling, feel and sporty performance at a very frugal fuel consumption. Remember, you'll still go 180 MPH or better! Keeping your airplane light with that engine will give you an exceptionally good flying airplane unless you load it with all sorts of gizmos and gain weight,
Regards, :)

weathers said:
Has anyone fit an O-320-E2A in a RV-8A? Does anyone know if this engine will work? Van's wasn't sure since they had never tried and the engine has a straight riser sump. I know there has been one installed in a RV-8.

Weathers,
I suspect that the previous listers do not know enough about the variations in Lycoming carburetor locations (on the sump bottom) to understand your question. Could you supply a photo of your sump bottom "off list" to me? With a photo, I may be able to give you an answer.
Charlie Kuss