jeffmoreau

Well Known Member
Should I trust the mounting location on the Van's firewall forward drawings for the placement of the cabin heat box?
If I locate it in the position that is indicated on the drawing, it appears to me that the box may be in the way of the suggested location for the throttle and mixture cables.
Any and all pictures of where RV8A builders decided to place their heat box would me most welcome.
Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Regards,
Jeff Moreau
N888JM
Virginia Beach, VA

Jeff:

Here's how I did my heat box on the -8. I don't know if it will work on -8A but I hope this helps.

This first picture shows where the hole was drilled on the lower right side of the firewall. For reference, note that it bisects the horizontal line of rivets.

The next shows the box on the firewall.

The next view is from the cabin side to show where it is relative to the vertical flange that holds the baggage side piece and the horizontal stiffener.

You'll not that I mounted this a bit higher than Van suggests. That's because I wanted to direct the heat at my legs and body and not my feet. Here's where the vent is placed in the cabin.

Because of my kinda backwards configuration the control cable will loop over and under the box. So you'll need a "B Nut" (available at AC Spruce) to hold the cable and allow the arm to swivel, otherwise you'll just bend the cable and quickly fatigue the part.

Here's a view of the final firewall install.

Sorry for the mixed bag of images. I've never fully figured out the logic behind Image Shack. You have to click on the thumbnails to see them full size.

Chris

Last edited: