Steve Ashby

Well Known Member
Sponsor
RV-8A builders, when you are working on the fuselage bulkheads and you get to the 811 bulkhead, you are supposed to fabricate 2 bars from 1.5" stock. First, you have to rip them down to 1" wide, which is a royal pain in the patootie. Then, you are instructed to taper the bars, as per drawing 27A. However, Dwg. 27A depicts that the bars are drilled to 10 prepunched holes in the 811 bulkhead. That drawing is dead wrong. If you drill the bars that way, there will not be enough bar sticking out at the top. Also, the holes will not be centered in the bars. Instead, contrary to dwg. 27A, you use the dimensions in dwg. 22 to drill the bars only to the top 9 holes (not 10). After drilling my bars in accordance with dwg. 27A, Vans informed me that they were wrong and that I had to fabricate new bars. That amounts to about 3 hours of work and about $25 for new bars (plus the stiff shipping charges). When I brought the defective drawing to the attention of Vans' staff, I certainly did not get the impression that they were going to change the drawings to remove the inconsistency. They also refused to help me out with the cost of the new bars. So, when you get to bulkhead 811, do not use dwg. 27A for anything but a general description about tapering the bars (which they say is not even necessary, it just saves a little weight). Use the dimensions and drilling depiction on dwg. 22 instead.

I don't really see a "gotcha" there .... my drawing 22 provides the layout for the rivet locations and the overall bar length, its position, essentially its manufacture, etc.... I don't see how you could look at 27A as a guide for actual fabrication... the only thing is suggests is that for the tri gear builders, the bar can be tapered... nothing more?? The rivet count difference is simply there because in the taildragger, the two bottom holes are bolts... in the trigear, they are just be rivets... so 10 count is correct.... ?

Steve,
I just rechecked my drawings and the affected area. I agree with Chickenlips. DWG 22 is the controlling drawing, as it contains ALL the important dimensions. The most important of which are the overall length and the length extending above the bulkhead (3.5")
I suspect that the draftsman (CADsman???) merely copy and pasted the drawing from DWG 27 to DWG 27A and then removed the tail wheel socket details.
Charlie Kuss

Chickenlips,
That is not what Vans told me. They said that the two bottom holes are not to be riveted to the bar, even though dwg. 27A shows different.

Maybe vans didn't realize you were building an 8A. It looks like you drill for the 10th rivet after the other 9 are drilled to dwg. 22. You set the bars down to far because you misinterpreted the 2 - bottommost prepunched holes in the bulkhead to be for the bars. I'm truly sorry for your mistake and having to replace to the bar, that really does suck but it probably won't be the last time it happens and it happens to all of us.

Order your bar from Spruce. I think you can get it in 1" wide so you won't have to rip it down. 2024T3/T4 SQ/RECT 1/4 X 1 03-43400 $2.90/foot

http://aircraftspruce.com/catalog/mepages/alumbar.php