FlynBrian

I'm looking to purchase a set of nearly complete wings and I have a few questions. One of the two wings is fully closed up. The second has the bottom skins removed.

1.)At this current state can I still add a flop tube fuel pickup to one of the tanks?

2.)Can I run a fuel injected engine if there is no return line in the fuel tanks?

3.)Is there still a way to run a return line if needed?

4.)In order to add Electric aileron trim do the wings need any modification or does this take place in the linkage / fuselage?

1 Yes
2 Yes (but some FI systems prefer you do one)
3 Yes I would think
4. I think all in the fuselage?

Answers...

1) The flop tube does not rely on the state of completion of the wings, it is dependent on the tanks being done. The short answer is, You can add a flop tube to a completed tank, but it will be tedious/difficult. If you were to add a flop tube to a completed tank you would have to take out the access panel on the interior rib. That access panel will include the fuel pickup and the fuel sender unit (unless the tanks have capacitive senders). Removing that panel will allow you some access into the tank which is where you would install the flop tube ? after drilling a hole in the forward tank/wing support for the flop tube fuel line to pass thru. You would also have to re-locate your fuel sender unit to the rear baffle location in the next inboard bay so that there is not interference from the flop tube. (unless you have capacitive senders). Like I said, not impossible, but not a lot of room to work within the closed up tank.

2) Yes, from what I gathered when deciding if I was going to run a return line, there are lots of fuel injected engine options that do not require a return line.

3) That being said, it is not difficult to add a return line after the tank is closed up?much easier than adding a flop tube.

4) Aileron trim is added to the fuselage ? there are no wing parts for aileron trim

Great info thanks guys.

Are the fuel tanks removable then once the top skins are on, or are they fixed at that point?

Has anyone taken on the challenge of adding the flop tube as explained above?