Ted RV8

Well Known Member
I have a question regarding an RV-8 wheel alignment.

I have done a search here and read the threads that came up on it but wanted to know more.

I aligned my gear, as others have done on the threads, when building the fuselage. Fuse upside down, two each four foot long angles attached to the gear legs, triangulate to the tail and equal distance on the angles front and rear.

Now that I'm finishing up and getting close I'm doing final alignment with shims. My questions are:

1) Do you do this weight on gear, or gear suspended with no weight on?
2) Tail up in level flight attitude or tail down in three point attitude?
3) Toe-in, toe-out or zero toe?
4) What is acceptable tolerance?
5) What did your camber angle of the wheel look like and did it change as time went on, empty and gross weight? Did you need to shim for camber angle?

All of the situations in questions 1 & 2 seem to change the toe measurement.

The plans (drawing 45) show the axle alignment. Section 10 in the manual says to do it with the fuselage up on sawhorses and the gear suspended. With a maximum of plus or minus 1/4 degree toe-in or toe-out.

Is this what others have done without any ground handling issues.

Talking with people about taildraggers toe-in and toe-out is sort of like primer discussions.

Trying to find out what those who built and are now flying their RV-8 experienced and settled on as far as alignment goes.

Ted

I kept it really simple Ted. I aligned it perfectly parallel with the fuselage upside down, got the distance from the tail the same, and never touched it again. Flies, lands, and handles on the ground great. I wear the outside of the tires before the inside - swap them around on the hubs at about 150 -200 hours, then wear the other side. I could maybe fix that with shims, but I end up with good tire life and they are evenly worn.

Your results might vary - this worked for me.

Paul

Hi Ted

I did the same as Paul, although I did need a shim on my right axle. I get even wear and the airplane tracks true.

Cheers

Ditto, just like Paul. I did think I had an issue early on, but it was just me not landing corrreclty-go figure.

The alignment has been pretty good, I am just about to change the tires at 180 hours, and they would have gone longer if I had turned them around sooner.