Mconner7

Well Known Member
1718807604054.jpeg
1718807604054.jpeg
IMG_1817.jpeg

Now I am curious. Who's has liability? The FBO? The helicopter owner? Or is everyone left to fend for themselves?

Either way it stinks. I feel for ya.:cry:

Now I am curious. Who's has liability? The FBO? The helicopter owner? Or is everyone left to fend for themselves?

Tim
I can't see it being anyone other than the helicopter pilot or whoever carries insurance on the helicopter, he or she was PIC and has responsibility for operation.

My understanding = if it is a no-fault policy, the RV owner's underwriter makes him whole. It's up to the related insurance companies to settle between themselves. (subrogation?)

As an aircraft operator, the pilot is responsible for his prop/rotor wash. That doesn't mean there won't be a lot of attempted blame shedding.

Ah man, that sucks!! I can’t quite tell if the vertical stab is also bent, but looks like it might be. Beautiful paint scheme!

I can't see it being anyone other than the helicopter pilot or whoever carries insurance on the helicopter, he or she was PIC and has responsibility for operation.
Ah, but the pilot was directed by the FBO, per the post above.

Tim

Tim

..... if you were PIC would you taxi into a drainage ditch if the line guy was telling you to?

I think there are 3 insurance companies that will be debating who's at fault. But ultimately there was only one PIC in one single operating aircraft when this happened (assuming).

Make sure the RV8 owner knows to include a "diminished value" claim of at least 10% in addition to all repair costs.

I'm guessing file a claim with both the FBO and the Helocopter insurance carriers. Let them assess blame.

Really sucks about your RV, but As far as insurance, the real question is who is the Citation’s insurance company going after to recoup their payout?

Makes me reconsider the practice of "wheel chocks only" when not a windy day and just running inside for a "pit stop" then coming right back out (I do this often myself - even gone for an hour or so to get lunch). Had this been tied down, as well as chocked, then no damage.

Makes me reconsider the practice of "wheel chocks only" when not a windy day and just running inside for a "pit stop" then coming right back out (I do this often myself - even gone for an hour or so to get lunch). Had this been tied down, as well as chocked, then no damage.

Not necessarily. Years ago, I saw an Archer moored and chocked at Camarillo get buffeted so violently by a turbine helicopter that it broke the chains (or maybe it was the tiedown ring, I'm not sure), skipped over the chocks, and hit another GA airplane. I'm not sure if the helicopter pilot just didn't see the event or what, but he continued the departure and flew away like nothing had happened. I assume he got an unpleasant phone call after reaching his destination.

Don't get me wrong, tie downs and chocks are the certainly the best defense, but it's no guarantee. Helicopters create some pretty intense rotor wash!

--Ron

We used to air taxi our UH-1Ns to our spots on the ramp at NAS Lemoore, right next to the flying club's aircraft. I've never heard of one of our Huey's ever causing a flying club aircraft to even jump a chock. Its pilot error, plain and simple. Line-men are not pilots!

If you taxi into parking with a lot of energy, honk it around with a big pedal turn while trying to dissipate all that excess energy, you screwed up. Parking ramps are "no-wake" zones.

(Disclaimer here: I was a crew chief not a Huey pilot. But, I'm pretty damned sure I'm right.)

Last edited:
When I arrived to clear customs once with two other aircraft, we pulled tightly into the customs box as per the customs officer's direction, and were told to follow him into the building... As the pilot of the rather large helicopter parked not 200' away walked *out* of the building to depart. We made a U-turn and walked back to our aircraft to hold them down. The customs agent was NOT impressed, and said we weren't allowed to return to our aircraft without clearing customs. We told him we weren't going anywhere if that helicopter was departing.

The helicopter pilot departed, and it took most of our efforts to keep the planes from being moved. And we were *tight* together in the customs box too, because the customs officer insisted that we "all had to be in the box" to clear customs. Made me wonder what he would have done if a fourth plane had shown up.

Tim
Doesn't matter, he still has operational responsibility and authority. His choice to evaluate the situation and accept or waive off the SUGGESTION of the FBO who has literally zero authority.

Many FBO’s I’ve had to sign a release of liability when signing in for overnight parking. Leaving our prized possessions in the hands of a (occasionally incompetent) stranger. Hope it gets worked out for you.

Many FBO’s I’ve had to sign a release of liability when signing in for overnight parking. Leaving our prized possessions in the hands of a (occasionally incompetent) stranger. Hope it gets worked out for you.
The attorneys I know laugh at these things. Ever read the back of your valet parking ticket? :)

I am a retired helicopter pilot...this was a major concern of mine, landing near other aircraft to pick up a patient...terrible to see this.

Dave that stinks. Where are you AOG??
Mike, Im in Cincinnati, just drove back today. the airplane is in Rochester, NY hangared. We are currently working on procuring rudder parts to bring it home.

When I was working down in St. Croix. I looked at buying a C172 project. The prop wash off the C130 hurricane hunter,(4 turbo props). broke all the tie downs and flipped it on its back. The government wrote the check. The owner was selling everything for the price of the engine. I was there as an A&P contractor and there were too many variables that could go sideways.

Just looking at that scenario, the aircraft inflicting the wind seems to be held responsible..

Mike, Im in Cincinnati, just drove back today. the airplane is in Rochester, NY hangared. We are currently working on procuring rudder parts to bring it home.
Ok I'm on the west side of Cleveland with a full empennage kit built and just sitting on my shelves for at least a few more years. Only thing not done is the fiberglass endcaps. Let me know if I can help you out.