AntiGravity

Well Known Member
Guys,

I need to email this to Vans as well I guess, but I have a query about the size of bolt used to attach the bottom of the vert stab spar to the F-812 bulkhead.

I've measured and drilled out to #30 but the instructions now say to final drill #12, which would be correct for an AN3 bolt. However, the plans (dwg#73) show AN4 bolts, which would require a 1/4" hole. Confusingly, on dwg#78 it shows four AN3 bolts, but this depicts the RV-8A with a tiedown bar attached so is quite probably a red herring. The two bolts that go through the F-812-B control stop angle are AN3.

I know there have been other discepancies on dwg#73 with regard to hole location, so maybe this is wrong too? Or the instructions are wrong? I read ahead and can't find anywhere saying to open the #12 holes to 1/4" later on.

Did any other builder see this and what was the answer? AN3 (#12) or AN4 (1/4")?

Be Careful here!

I have an older non match punched kit and my drawing number is Dwg 27.

If you are mean to the two lower bolts that tie into the tailwheel steel weldment WB-409 they are AN4-6A according to my plans. I did use AN4 bolts here, not sure of exact length.

Be careful on the layout of these as they can bite you. If you space them out to wide you can hit the vertical braces in the weldment. If you space them to close together it becomes a clearance issue with the rudder once it is mounted. My plans did not give a distance

I had to sand down my rudder fairing after painting!!! to gain clearance from these bolts on full right and left rudder.

Hope this helps

Ted

Thanks Ted!

That's what I thought (AN4) after doing some more web searches. Regarding the clearance issue, since my #30 pilot holes are in already (according to the plans), I guess I'm stuck with whatever I've got; ironically I read about that gotcha on another website as well. After I'd drilled the holes, of course! I guess I'll find out soon enough... :cool:
Thanks again.

we used AN4

"2. We marked out and drilled the three holes through the vertical stab rear spar/F-812-1 bulkhead and WD-409 tail spring mount ( a real pain - eventually we used the laser again and made a small template to mark out the hole locations). Final drilled #12, as the instructions specified - and then realized that the drawings call for AN4 bolts - which clearly aren't going to fit! Everything else on the tail assembly is AN3 and the drawing for the RV8A shows 4 AN3 bolts in this location - so do we drill some more or use the AN3 bolts??"

After a bit of research and calling a friend who had just completed an -8, we drilled out and fitted AN4 bolts. We managed to get ou r pilot holes in the right place, i think more by luck than judgement!

Just one of those little discrepancies that Van's haven't caught up with yet.

Chris

Vans replied...

...that those should indeed be AN4 and they are going to fix the instructions. After much web research and Ted's reply above I had already gone with the AN4's anyway, but it was nice to have it confirmed 100% this morning.

Oh, and if you accidentally open the center locating hole through the F-812 angle and put a third AN3 bolt in there, then that's ok too! :eek:

Cheers,

# 30 pilot holes

hai

i need to know waht is the size of #30 pilot hole.

and where can i get information about the other #40, #60..etc pilot holes

thanks
Prakash

.....need to know waht is the size of #30 pilot hole.......and where can i get information about the other #40, #60..etc pilot holes......Prakash
Get yourself a good drill index card or chart and refer to it often. Tape one on your shop wall, inside the tool box, and other conspicious places. Some types of drill charts are included in tool catalogs. Here's a version of the type I used in my day job. The information was posted EVERYWHERE and this laminated wallet sized card version was meant to be carried on your person.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=11008