speed

Who is doing RV8 transition training in NE Texas (DFW area)? Is this typically done in an 8 or 6/7 ?

Now that I have decided that I am 95% sure I want to build it. I better see if I like how it will fly. (* not really worried *) I like any excuse to fly :), I might as well go up for a short flight.

Thanks for the help.

One ride is all it took....

One ride in the back of the Doll was all it too to convert me from a 7 to an 8. (Thanks Danny!) But transition training in an 8 in the DFW area, I don't know of any. I flew a 6a out of Mesquite, but since that guy sold his FBO, I don't think he is training in the 6 anymore.

I've never met this guy http://www.rvtraining.com/ but I have heard he is very good. RV-6 and 10 training.

Hope that helps!
Phil

I bought an -8 last month and getting transition training was very tough because of the lack of brakes in the back. In fact, my -8 does not even have a throttle. In the end, a CFI/-4 owner worked me hard in a Cub, then had me fly a lot from the back seat in the -8 before moving to the front. It worked fine, but I already had about 200 hrs in taildraggers, although it had been 7 years since I had flown one.

Maybe you can find a CFI who would do something similar. Finding a ride in the back of an -8 just takes a little persistence. Once I rode in the back of one I was hooked. The visibility and handling sold me on it.

Track down Alex De Dominicis at http://www.rvtraining.com/; he does transition training in a -6, but it flies just like an 8. Fly it from the right seat so your right hand is on the stick and left is on the throttle... it's a seamless transition to the 8 later on. I flew with Alex 2 weeks before the first flight of my 8 and I had no trouble with it at all.

Alex flies out of Eagles Nest Airpark south of Dallas, near Waxahachie/Midlothian. He's a super nice guy and a great instructor!

A -6 does not fly just like an -8. Period.

Chris:eek:

I have to agree with Chris - I am still trying to get good consistent landings in -6's....the -8 is actually much easier to land - at least for me!

Without a doubt they are different.

Paul

A -6 does not fly just like an -8. Period.

Alrighty then; perhaps the 6 is not just like an 8, but it flies like an RV, so it's pretty close to flying like an 8. The only real difference I noticed is the gear has a different feel to it, but it's nothing to get too excited about. My point was that a right seat checkout in a 6 is perfectly adequate for a pilot to move on to an 8; just practice a bunch of wheel landings and you're good to go. Fair enough?

My 8A is almost ready to fly. I will be doing some training in a 6A thats the best I could come up with.

thanks

Thanks for all the good advice. I guess I will just look for a ride in an 8 and some training in the right seat of a 6.

Speed, it would be a very good idea to get as much tailwheel experience in any conventional geared airplane as you can.
I had about 500 hours in a Supercub and another 500 in a RV6a. The Supercub transistion over to a RV was very helpful. The RV8 is much more sensitive and responsive than the Supercub and the speeds on rollout are more 'interesting' since the RV feels shorter coupled.

Actually, I never did any dual in a tailwheel RV but it would be a great idea. The RV6a time helped me deal with the speeds/handling characteristics of the RV family.

Steve

Speed, any tailwheel time you can get will be helpful in transistioning into the 8.
I had 500 hours RV6a time and 500 Supercub time and transistioned into the RV8 with no tailwheel RV time. Some tailwheel RV time by a good instructor would be a great idea, esp. if you have little to no other tailwheel experience or inexperienced with the speeds and handling of the RV family.

The RV8 is much more sensitive and responsive than the Supercub and the roll out speeds are more 'interesting' since the RV feels shorter coupled.

Steve