I just bought a 10 year old RV-8. Flying it already has me thinking about building. In the meantime, an experienced taildragger pilot told me he thought it was "squirelly" on landing, and I thought it was too. We checked the tailwheel chains, and there were only 9 links in it, with no slack. We added a few links, and now it is much easier to control on roll out.

Question: How many links are there supposed to be? I bought the -8 plans last Spring, and I can't find the answer there. The plans call for about 1/2" sag in the chains, I've got a bit more than that now. Is there a "right" number of links, or is 1/2" it? Should the weight be on the tailwheel while measuring the slack, or should the bird be level on a sawhorse?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Also, if anyone wants to sell me their construction videos, they might push me over the edge and get the tail kit.

Thanks all,

Dave

Tight chains vs. Loose chains is a religious argument - some like one, some the other.

There is no set number of links, since no two come out exactly alike, so just put the tension or slack that you want into them by using whatever it takes.

I got rid of my chains and got a JD Air tail link. Now I have zero chain links. :) I like the way it handles now much better than with chains.

I got rid of my chains and got a JD Air tail link. Now I have zero chain links. :) I like the way it handles now much better than with chains.

I need to try the link. I've ran my chains tight, loose, and tight again and it still doesn't feel 'right'. Maybe my gear legs are coming loose :eek:

I was using a steering link for a while with the Bell fork. I liked the feel with the chains better so I put them back on. I ordered the "prettier" Tail lynx kit from Van's, I'll change them out when they arrive. The chains have about 1/2 inch of slack in them and seem to work great. I operate off of grass mostly, if that makes any difference.

Last edited:
Welcome to VAF!

Dave, welcome to VAF.

No tailwheel on my RV:( but I did fly a Stinson 108-3 for 20 years, and I liked to have a little slack in the chains.

Also, IMHO compression springs are the only way to go,

comprspringkit.jpg

tension springs

tensionspringkit.jpg

are not something I would recommend.

http://www.aircraft-spruce.com/menus/lg/tailwheelaccessories.html

Last edited:
Another pull-pull option

Another tail wheel control option. I've used stock, push/pull link and now these. They work well.

cat-med_tail-lynx.jpg

Tail lynx

Personal choice as above...

If you do not think you have the experience to make that choice, I was given the following "rule of thumb" for an RV:
  • Tail chains long enough to allow rudder to swing about 1/2 the horn width each way relative to the VS
which works well for me ;)

When I finished my build I had the rocket link installed. I found it too sensitive for me while re-learning to fly the tailwheel. I put loose chains on for the first couple of years (100 hrs). I then felt the loose chains were too loose so I went back to the Rocket link and like it very much now that my feet are awake.