cfiidon

Well Known Member
I planned out my switches and breakers some time ago and will soon start the actual wiring. As I was ordering my right hand stick grip I was reminded that having all my switches (lights, strobes, yada, yada) on the right hand panel didn't seem conducive to good human factors design with my right hand on the stick.

I realize some have put them on the instrument panel, and some on the right hand side. Who has done it on the left (perhaps below the throttle)?

For those out there with tandems, who put them on the right and wishes otherwise OR who likes them where they put them?

Just for info, my Dynon 180, GNS430W, SL30, and GTX327 transponder are going to be smack dab in the middle so I can use either hand. The Dynon HS34 and AP74 will be on each side of the D180. At least that's the plan.

Comments?

Don

Don,
I used lighted rocker switches that take up a little more room than the standard toggle switches so I had to spread them out some. And, I didn't want to use any of the removable instrument panel real estate if I could help it. Here is what I am doing...

Left side instrument panel (non removable part) just above throttle quad
- Flaps
- Aux Battery (so I can easily reach in from outside and get GRT's booting while I do walk-around)
- Fuel pump

Right side instrument panel (non removable part)
- Avionics buss
- Avionics e-buss
- Pitot heat
- Start button

Right arm rest
- Split Master/Alt
- L Mag P lead
- R Mag P lead
- L Mag Power
- R Mag Power
note: I have dual P-mags

Right side cover plate (the same plate the fuel selector sticks through on the left side) on the vertical face
- Landing Light
- Taxi Light
- Nav lights
- Strobes

On the stick I have
- hat switch for trim
- PTT
- Autopilot Disconnect
- some unused switches (so far)

The only time I should have to take my hand off the stick during normal flight would be turn the landing light on/off. I am not flying yet, but I think I will like this layout. We'll see.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Split 'em up.

On my -8 I split up the switch locations according to need/use during flight. Switches that I use basically twice during a flight at start up and shut down (Master, Avionics master, Mag switches, start button) went to the far right side and lower right sub-panel. Switches that get multiple uses during a flight (Flaps, fuel pump, lights) went to the lower left side of the panel within easy reach from the throttle quadrant with my left hand. I quite like it this way, very usable and not much need for swapping hands to mess with switches.

Switches on the stick? Just a lonely PTT...

Don, I've only been flying my -8 for about 50 hours, so keep that in mind with my reply. In those 50 hours, however, I can only think of one thing on that right-hand panel that requires any attention in flight -- the boost pump. Everything else is switched on prior to flight and off during shut-down.

I used the stock Van's layout and, looking back, really wouldn't change anything, FWIW.

[EDITED: Giving it more thought, I have multiple switches on my throttle that are unused (flaps are the only button used). If I find that switching the boost pump on/off becomes an issue, I may rewire it to one of the throttle switches.]

Last edited:
Shiny switches on the left

On my -8 I split up the switch locations according to need/use during flight. Switches that I use basically twice during a flight at start up and shut down (Master, Avionics master, Mag switches, start button) went to the far right side and lower right sub-panel. Switches that get multiple uses during a flight (Flaps, fuel pump, lights) went to the lower left side of the panel within easy reach from the throttle quadrant with my left hand. I quite like it this way, very usable and not much need for swapping hands to mess with switches. Switches on the stick? Just a lonely PTT...

I concur, this is almost my setup, except for electric trim on the stick (s).

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

With those switches on the left sub panel, where'd you put the vent? I was thinking along the lines of that left side for exactly what you've discussed (flaps and pump for sure), but struggling with vent.

I'm actually laying out my panel, so y'all have perfect timing...

Joe

With those switches on the left sub panel, where'd you put the vent? I was thinking along the lines of that left side for exactly what you've discussed (flaps and pump for sure), but struggling with vent.

I'm actually laying out my panel, so y'all have perfect timing...

Joe

Joe, even with the big lighted rocker switches I am using I still had plenty of room for the vent. Now, I am using the vents from Steinair. They may be smaller than the ones from Vans. I am at work (well, sort of :) ) so I can't go out to the shop and look.

Hey Tony--

Yep, I bought the small vents form Stein. My problem is, the FB mod has this little triangle/wedge support that runs inward from the canopy rail towards your knee, eats up a bit of those sub-panles at the bottom. I'll figure it out eventually...

J

Thanks

Thanks for all the good info. I'll spend some time visualizing tasks and flow. I have BIG vents that I hope to put on the fixed sides of the panel, so I'll look for the best places according to function and use before/during/after flight.

Tonight I've been thinking along the lines of breakers and essential buss switch on the right, most everything else on the left... somewhere (definitely flaps and boost pump).

Don

Switch Panel

I hate to agree with McNamara, but he's right. The switches on the right panel, as per Van's wiring harness works very well. I moved the control of the flaps, and boost pump to the Infinity stick grip along with PTT, trim, and autopilot disconnect. Circuit protection is via circuit breaker switches on the right panel and are switched on prior to engine start, then off after shutdown. Control during flight is provided by the switches on the Infinity stick grip.

Flying formation (or any other time) is a breeze as there are few times during the flight that requires moving your hands from the throttle or stick.

Using circuit breaker switches makes the wiring process simple as there is no requirement to install both a circuit breaker and a switch. After 1100+ hours of flight experience in the Doll, I am very happy with the cockpit layout. It works well.

Last edited:
I used the panel on the right side for lighting controls. Big rockers are external lights; knobs are dimmer controls for internal lights; small black rockers are for interior utility lights.

Lighting%20Panel%2006.jpg

The panel unplugs using a simple 9-pin molex connection:
Lighting%20Panel%2004.jpg

As you can see, the CB's are all mounted across the bottom of the panel. Like Danny, I put the flaps on the Infinity stick. Buttons on the stick are also used for the starter, radio interrupt (to cut out incoming audio), and radio transmit.

Most other switches are on the right side instrument panel.

Switch panel location

Here are mine: Left side (fixed portion) Fuel boost, flaps, clock and its control switch. Right side (fixed portion) Master/alternator switch, starter switch/mags, ADI backup battery switch, panel light rheostats. Main panel center section EFIS 1, EFIS 2, A/P and E-buss switches are all lighted rockers. Below these are strobes, nav lights, ldg light, taxi light, pitot heat and stdby alternator (all switch/CB's). On right side of main panel is select switch for Tru Trak (GNS430 or EFIS 1 (AFS 3400)). Top left of main section has buttons for AFS AOA Sport. All the CB's are on the panel - at least for now. Picture attached. Many good ideas in this thread. Where things end up relates for me to personal preference and just when in the design process you pull the trigger and stop improving the panel further! Good luck to you.
rbejy1.jpg
[/IMG]

Me too.

On my -8 I split up the switch locations according to need/use during flight. Switches that I use basically twice during a flight at start up and shut down (Master, Avionics master, Mag switches, start button) went to the far right side and lower right sub-panel. Switches that get multiple uses during a flight (Flaps, fuel pump, lights) went to the lower left side of the panel within easy reach from the throttle quadrant with my left hand. I quite like it this way, very usable and not much need for swapping hands to mess with switches.

Switches on the stick? Just a lonely PTT...

Although my -8 is still under construction, I used the same philosophy as jbDC9. I do have an Infinity grip so I plan for PTT, flip/flop, Smoke, flaps and trim to be there. The stuff on the right switch panel is just for starting up and shutting down, everything else will be on the left side panel close to the throttle hand.

FP28112009A0001U.jpg

FP29112009A00024.jpg

The little blue tilt panel was going to be for flaps, but I opted to put that on the stick. So it is no longer there.
My 2 cents....

I stayed with the switches on the right except for the flaps switch.
Years ago I called Van's about the electric trim, and who ever I talked to convinced me to stay with the manual trim. So I mounted the flap control switch just to the left of the trim knob, so I can raise my hand from the throttle to the trim, and while stabilizing my hand on the trim, use the knuckles of my first and second finger to operate the flap switch. Then in rough air or in the dark, I can always find and control the throttle, trim and flaps.