Has anyone seen an effective sunshade for the -8 bubble? At OSH, Van didn't seem to know of any but said his brother's -8 had something. He wasn't there but others thought that he had simply cut a piece of vinyl to fit. Any other thoughts?

Six straight non-stops round trips to OSH from Tulsa, and counting.

I went the the el-cheapo route....I went ot WalMart for those auto shades with the wire rim that collapse on themselves with a twist, and have suction cups attached - a pair was like $4....and then I bought a nice broad-brimmed "boonie hat" at Ron Jon's Surf Shop for when I don't want to put the sun shade up. No bubble obstructions!

Paul

RV-8 Shades

Ironflight said:
I went ot WalMart for those auto shades with the wire rim that collapse on themselves with a twist, and have suction cups attached - a pair was like $4

Paul

Me too. Look in the auto supplies section.

Chris

Sun Shades for RV-8

Also at Walmart you can find in the auto section the tinted sun shades which come rolled up in a 12-14" box. After takeoff, you take them out, unroll them and swipe them up on the inside of the appropriate section of canopy for the sun angle. Unrolled they are about 12x12". Static electricity keeps them in place. Just remember to take them down and roll them up BEFORE you open the canopy.

Saw a real nice Rv-8 at Arlington, here's what he did.

NWEAA07018.jpg

Last edited:
Kogers Great

I bought a Koger shade for our RV8 at OSH and installed it before the trip home. We still had to fly to west Texas and then back to Georgia. It was July and we needed the shade.
For us, it is worth every penny it cost. When I'm doing acro or formation I just slide it back and when I'm through playing it's instant shade.
I highly recommend it.
It took about an hour to install and it's a nice clean installation that operates as advertised.

White Cotton w/ small suction cups

Gladder?s Gal came with a couple nice shades made from white cotton with little suction cups sewn in. I think Dusty made them. They work great and store anywhere. You can ball one up to about the size of your fist for storage. Its light cotton, but creates plenty of shade. They are constructed in long rectangles to match the shape of the canopy. I don?t think anything else out there stores as compactly.

Livin' on Tulsa Time

Gents,

I too am from the Tulsa Area (Owasso) and I should be receiving my -8 empennage on Friday!

If anyone is interested in getting together to talk shop, let me know.

Regards,

Nate Garrett