RBD

Well Known Member
A buddy and I are picking up a previously flying RV-8 this weekend. The entire emp is currently off the plane, as are the wings. The builder/owner will be providing the plans with the plane, but I'd like to order the spar bolts from Vans in the meantime. We will also use new hardware to reattach the tail, and on all flight controls. I imagine that we will need a variety of AN-3 and AN-4 hardware, but if there are any commonly used sizes that we should go ahead and order now, please let me know.

Regarding the spar bolts, I believe I found the correct page on Vans site, but which bolts and how many of each will we need?

http://vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin/store.cgi?ident=1376929081-154-192&browse=hardware&product=ctbolt

Thanks!

I could look them up on my plans and tell you, but you can do that for yourself and be a better RV-8 owner for it. There is no maintenance manual, so you have to use the plans and the construction manual to maintain and repair the plane. It's not difficult, but some commitment on your part is required. Once you get involved with maintaining your own experimental aircraft, you may never want a certified aircraft again..:D
Oh wait, you've already owned an RV-4, so you know this.
PS, it would be nice if someone wrote up an RV-8 maintenance manual....

My plans show:

8 - NAS1304-50 Close Tolerance Bolts
8 - AN365-428 nuts
8 - AN960-416 washers (could be more to get the right thread reveal)

8 - NAS1307-50 Close Tolerance Bolts
8 - AN365-720A nuts
8 - AN960-716 washers (again maybe a few more...)

It's been 9 years since I put those bolts in.... :D

My plans show:

8 - NAS1304-50 Close Tolerance Bolts
8 - AN365-428 nuts
8 - AN960-416 washers (could be more to get the right thread reveal)

8 - NAS1307-50 Close Tolerance Bolts
8 - AN365-720A nuts
8 - AN960-716 washers (again maybe a few more...)

It's been 9 years since I put those bolts in.... :D

Thanks, Mark. That's exactly the info I need.

There will be definitely be many an hour spent looking at the plans (and many an order from ACS,) but we won't have them until Saturday when we pick the plane up. Figured I might as well get the close tolerance bolts on their way, as I know that we will need them.

There are also some standard bolts, AN3's if I remember right, in addition to the close tolerance ones. I don't remember the length.

Don't forget to buy a couple of cheap hardware bolts of the same diameter as the large bolts, and a bit longer, then grind the tips down into a nice rounded taper. Very helpful for alignment of the wing & fuselage in assembly.

You got it.

You know the bolts you need for the wings. Look in the plans and you will find that the tail is held on by AN-3 standard bolts and nylocks. There are not many that hold the tail on, so it is a good idea to get them per the call out length and one size longer at the same time. If they need to be a longer size that's what you do. Just remember that when your put them in per the plans you need to have at least one and one-half threds showing above the top of the nut once it is tightened down. I like two, but that's just me not 43.13-1 A&B.. good luck it a good aircraft you will like it in the end.
Yours as always R.E.A. III # 80888

Might want a a variety pack

After waiting around for the package to arrive, and pay for shipping, I found it far cheaper and more convenient to buy a bulk pack of bolts. The plan callout is occasionally wrong. Just put the short one back, and grab the next size up. Saves a lot of time.

I made up my own bulk package, but there are several pre-made sets out there.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/ha/bolts/assorted_hardware.php