ten4teg

Well Known Member
How are builders mounting radios with the narrow space behind the instrument panel. There is only about 10 inches and most radios are 12 to 13 inches in depth. Looking for ideas. Thanks, Tom

Avionics Bay Stretcher

Most people have used an avionics bay stretcher or stick the radio out of the front of the panel. The stretcher is available at the following sites:

avbayistoosmall.net

or

igotchaya.com

Tom,

You're right - it's tight!

The Garmin 430 is the longest thing in my panel, and I managed to fit it in. First, if you're planning on flush-mounting the faces, you might rethink - that will by you about 3/4". Next, when laying things out, make sure that you put the long stuff high enough in the panel to miss the forward gear-box top cross brace. Do these two things and the 430 will fit - just!

Paul

Yes Ditto Pauls comments. I was able to nearlly flush the 430. BUT. You must do 2 things.
1. Dont mount it where the antennae connections run into the cross member. Meaning you cant have it at the bottom of the stack
2. You will need some right angle BNC's. Not the premade $25 jobbies cause theya re too thick, but you need the plastic jobbers from Rat shack that you can take the plastic off and use. It allows for a real tight fit but it works I assure you.
No worries on the radio stack fit. You can make it work.

Best,

ten4teg said:
How are builders mounting radios with the narrow space behind the instrument panel. There is only about 10 inches and most radios are 12 to 13 inches in depth. Looking for ideas. Thanks, Tom
My std King KX-125/KT-96's fit near-flush. It's tight, but it works. Just don't forget the cross member at the bottom. As others have said, be careful with the (clearance regarding) antenna leads and other conductors at the back. See attached photo. Sorry so yellow - it's the sodium vapor lights in the hangar.

http://www.geocities.com/aggiepilot87/Photo_020507_004.jpg