TerryWighs

Well Known Member
Was wondering what is going to close off the hole in the RV-8, in the area where the RV-8A step weldment is placed? This is on the left lateral portion of the aft bottom skin toward the forward end. Can't seem to find it in the instructions. Probably there somewhere, but panic has stricken and my eyes have blurred!

dash 8A step hole on dash 8 fuse

Had the same question. Van's told me "not to worry" as the fairing hides the hole.
Don

Step Hole

I got the same response but didn't want the cold air in the winter, so I covered the hole with an aluminum patch sealed with Proseal. I curved the aluminum to match the skin curvature.

Mike

I got the same response but didn't want the cold air in the winter, so I covered the hole with an aluminum patch sealed with Proseal. I curved the aluminum to match the skin curvature.

Mike
A patch is so not necesasary. I asked the same question when I first pulled the skin out of the crate and found it sporting that rather large hole. The reason that skin is included with the -8 (I'm told) has to do with inventory and/or manufacturing efficiences. See the photos in my post #3. What you don't see is that large hole:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?p=373333&highlight=flap+fairing#post373333