wfinnell

Well Known Member
I am a little embarrassed but I can't find the bend radius of the trailing edge for the RV-8 rudder. Section 5G in the instructions states ?The plans pages have drawings that show the proper radius that needs to be achieved on the final bend?. I have looked very closely at DWG 7 but can?t find it. It feels a little bit like when I am looking for the peanut butter in the pantry. I look and look then my wife walks up and picks it up without even looking. She usually rolls her eyes as she hands the peanut butter to me. :rolleyes:

A clue in the form of a drawing zone would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Bill Finnell
RV-8, Tail Kit
Tucson

The key to getting the proper bend radius is to get it tight enough that the skin lays completely flat & relaxed down to the main spar by itself. Do this a little at a time so that you don't "kink" the trailing edge.

Take a 1/8 inch wood dowel rod, duct tape it into the trailing edge and bend around that. This will give you a good radius, and prevent you from pinching the bend flat. Make the big bend with the homemade bending brake in the planes, then use the hand seamers to tweak it.