Luke D

Well Known Member
Advertiser
I'm working on an updated version of our (Classic Aero Designs) RV-8 rear stick boot. I can't seem to find where (or if) the construction manual mentions the amount of left right stick movement that should be expected (I found the deflections for the control surfaces).

If it's about 30 degrees or less from vertical (60 from stop to stop) we should be fine. If it's more, I'm going to have to make some more adjustments to the design. Does anyone know what is typical?

Thanks,

Luke,

I'll measure mine tomorrow (Sunday).

Skylor

Thanks Skylor. I did get a reply by email from a customer. He said that he got 20 degrees each side of vertical, but he did not have stops installed yet, so it will likely end up being a little less than that. A confirmation of this would be great though.

Thanks again,

Thanks Skylor. I did get a reply by email from a customer. He said that he got 20 degrees each side of vertical, but he did not have stops installed yet, so it will likely end up being a little less than that. A confirmation of this would be great though.

Thanks again,

Hi Luke,

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Today I measured 23 degrees stick deflection in each direction on my -8. My aileron travel is right at the max per the builders manual.

Skylor

Hi Luke,

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Today I measured 23 degrees stick deflection in each direction on my -8. My aileron travel is right at the max per the builders manual.

Skylor

Thanks for the heads up Skylor. Even though yours is a little more than the other 8 that was measured, we should be fine since I was using 30 degrees for designing.

Thanks again,
Luke D.

Hi Luke

In my humble opinion the rear stick boot is a must and I am surprised Vans did not design a cover for this area. Without a cover or your stylish boot this is asking for an object to be dropped into a crucial part of the flying control system.

For some feedback - when I first fitted the boot I felt the new leather was restricting the stick (not from full deflection - but resistance as the leather folded up). However during aerobatics I never noticed it to be a problem and as the leather is breaking in I feel the resistance less and less now when I do the full and free check.

Regards Bob

Hi Luke

In my humble opinion the rear stick boot is a must and I am surprised Vans did not design a cover for this area. Without a cover or your stylish boot this is asking for an object to be dropped into a crucial part of the flying control system.

For some feedback - when I first fitted the boot I felt the new leather was restricting the stick (not from full deflection - but resistance as the leather folded up). However during aerobatics I never noticed it to be a problem and as the leather is breaking in I feel the resistance less and less now when I do the full and free check.

Regards Bob

Hi Bob,

Thank you for the feedback. Do you know if it is the front or rear stick boot that is causing resistance?

One thing to try is to check the top of the boot where it closes around the stick. They are usually fairly snug. If the top is closed around the stick at a high point when the stick is centered, then it will create tension on one side of the boot when the stick is moved to the side.

You may have noticed that the boot is not patterned as a straight cone. It has a "bellows" shape that allows for more movement. We could probably give it a little more of this shape to give a little bit more freedom (depending on which boot it is).

Thanks,