Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
A recent thread in the RV-4 forum asked for pictures of how folks close out the huge opening in the floor below the stick to keep "things" from dropping in and blocking the controls. This is something that is up to the builder to think about in both the -4 and the -8, and I have seen most -8 builders come up with some sort of panel and boot. I stole my idea from a builder's web site long ago, and adapted it a little to suit my application. I thought maybe we should try and get a variety of pictures here in one place to share our various ideas with each other. If nothing else, it will let us all see the really cool solutions and go "Doh! Why didn't I think of doing it that way!"

Here's mine - simple, made from some scrap sheet, and just velcroed to the floor (because I thought about it too late, and already had the rear floor riveted down....):
IMG_1063.JPG

How many more solutions can we collect?

Classic Aero

I'm afraid I don't have a picture as I am not that far along just yet, but I have the Classic Aero RV-8 'set' which includes the rear stick boot. It is basically the same idea as shown in paul's picture and is also velcro'd to the floor.

Easy Peasy

I fashioned a simple straightforward cover out of .020 aluminum. Since I previously installed the floors using screws and nutplates :), it was a simple matter to pick up 2 existing screw holes to firmly attach the aft end of the cover to the floor. I then made up a template of the remaining hole. Using that template as a pattern, Abby of Flightline Interiors made up the leather stick boot for me. It is attached to the cover with velcro. By the way, Abby kept that template in case someone else wants to do it the same way.

Interesting Rick - the new -8 kit has a redesigned rear stick hangar with lightening holes in it (The old one is made from a "C"-channel and is solid). While the newer design looks nice from an assembly standpoint, I think those holes would make me nervous - lots of room for a pen, pencil or other FOD to drop in there. I had as tick jam due to a pencil falling into the floor in a J-3 once - not something I ever want to have happen again!

Maybe a fabric closeout, velcroed in place to keep it light? Just a suggestion....

Paul

Another quick topic - the GIB PTT button. I've got one on the stick, and I decided to also put one near the armrest as shown here (tiny red pushbutton switch):

This eliminates the conflict on the controls problem when radio duties are delegated to the "copilot".

Fire extingusher

Paul

What fire extingusher do have mounted behind the front seat, and do you think you could get at it in flight....

Chris RV8 N627CS Painting& Polishing

Paul

What fire extingusher do have mounted behind the front seat, and do you think you could get at it in flight....

Chris RV8 N627CS Painting& Polishing

It's a Halon extinguisher I have had on hand for awhile, and yes - I have trained and tested to get at it!

Paul