Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
One thing that I never got around to building for the Valkyrie was a rear seat riser to lift the passenger of the floor a little bit. I have seen planes with and without it, and have given a lot of rides where no one complained, but a few weeks ago, I got curious what it would be like, and stacked the seat bottom cushions on a couple of phone books - and liked the improvement in both seating position and view.

I looked around to see if I had enough of the right size aluminum sheets to make a riser per the drawing I had from Cleveland (who made my seats), but had no joy. Then I looked at my scrap wood box, and had an idea!

This is the result:

img0404ff4.jpg

Basically, I took two pieces of thin (1/8") finishing plywood, and cut them to 17" wide by 11 1/2". I measured the center cut-out I would need to clear the harness crotch strap attach point, and cut that notch. I then made a little 3/4" wedge for the rear, and a 3" rise "bulkhead" near the front (but behind the notch). Tack nailed it together with the finishing nailer, then squirted the thing full of expanding foam. Once that hardened, I trimmed it for shape and fit, then used leftover epoxy and fiberglass to enclose it all in a hard shell. Total cost? Free! (it was all scrap and leftovers).

Yeah, I know the aluminum riser would have been lighter, but this only weighs a pound and a half anyway. I also miss out on a little storage space that some folks use...but hey, this only took a little while.....and it was free! :D

I'm sure there are many more creative and smart ways to do this...this is just one lazy man's option...

Paul

Paul I don't know if you have been in the back of an 8 but it can be really painful for a guy if you don't modify the stick before hand. At that seat height you will be nailed and in extreme pain. When I rode out to LOE with Robby Knox I had to be very aware of when he was checking free and clear. I would suggest putting a bend in the stick first.

Sidebar: Is the shuttle launch on Schedule for the Dec 7? I have the tiger reserved and heading to Merrit Island for the launch. My brother just got activated with the Air Nat. Guard at Patrick. Grumpy you going to head up for the launch?

TSwezey said:
Paul I don't know if you have been in the back of an 8 but it can be really painful for a guy if you don't modify the stick before hand. At that seat height you will be nailed and in extreme pain. When I rode out to LOE with Robby Knox I had to be very aware of when he was checking free and clear. I would suggest putting a bend in the stick first.

Sidebar: Is the shuttle launch on Schedule for the Dec 7? I have the tiger reserved and heading to Merrit Island for the launch. My brother just got activated with the Air Nat. Guard at Patrick. Grumpy you going to head up for the launch?

Interesting comment on the stick Todd....I will definitely check that out!

Shuttle launch is still NET (No Earlier Than) 12/7. Still on schedule last time I checked! I worked the last two missions in a row, and get to sit this one out - and may travel down to the Cape myself for a change. We'll see - lots to do between now and then....

Paul

TSwezey said:

Paul has ridden in the back of my -8 and I have the riser built to the Cleveland drawing. I have had many passengers in my back seat and never had a complaint about the stick movement. I have sat back there and moved the stick all around, I didn't notice any problems. By the way, I'm a fairly average size guy (6 ft, 185 lbs). This may not be true for larger people.

I rode in the Van's first conforming prototype (before the wing came off) and didn't notice any issues there either (pretty sure it had Cleveland cushions, not sure if it had a riser).

Karl