First I would like to introduce myself. My name is Andrew Broadfoot and I am interested in building a Van's RV-8 sometime in the not too distant future. I have spent some time around a few builders located in Conroe Texas KCXO. After looking at the airframes they have on hand and asking questions my interest has peaked and I am now considering the purchase of a tool kit and tail empennage to start with.

Having said all of this I am not a pilot as of yet but figure I would have several years to work towards my license while building. My logic may not be the best as I can be described really well in one word "impulsive". However, my thoughts about this aircraft and model haven't changed much.

So here are a few questions I have. Keep in mind, I am 6'5" and weigh 270lbs.

1. What are the advantages of having a fastback kit on an RV-8?

2. Is it possible to re situate the front seat further back after purchasing the kit and can it be built into the kit like such.

3. Can you choose where to put the pedals? Such as moving them further back to accommodate longer legs?

4. When choosing your avionics and panel layout, can you cut an inch or two off of the bottom to allow room for larger pilots?

I may think of more questions in the future but these are a few to start with. I thank everyone in advance for answering any of these questions I have.

Last edited:
Big and Tall

Hi Andrew, and welcome! This subject has been covered at length (pun intended) over the years, I suggest you use the search function in the bar above. Type in "tall pilot" and enjoy.

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAA FAAST Team Member
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

If you don't get any larger, you won't have any problem fitting into an 8 with the tall pilot option. I am 6'4" and 235, and fit just fine.

First I would like to introduce myself. My name is Andrew Broadfoot and I am interested in building a Van's RV-8 sometime in the not too distant future. I have spent some time around a few builders located in Conroe Texas KCXO. After looking at the airframes they have on hand and asking questions my interest has peaked and I am now considering the purchase of a tool kit and tail appendage to start with.

Having said all of this I am not a pilot as of yet but figure I would have several years to work towards my license while building. My logic may not be the best as I can be described really well in one word "impulsive". However, my thoughts about this aircraft and model haven't changed much.

So here are a few questions I have. Keep in mind, I am 6'5" and weigh 270lbs.

2. Is it possible to re situate the front seat further back after purchasing the kit and can it be built into the kit like such.

3. Can you choose where to put the pedals? Such as moving them further back to accommodate longer legs?

4. When choosing your avionics and panel layout, can you cut an inch or two off of the bottom to allow room for larger pilots?

I may think of more questions in the future but these are a few to start with. I thank everyone in advance for answering any of these questions I have.

Hi Andrew.

I'm building an 8, and am out of CXO as well...

Have you seen the fast back that Dennis and Dick are building at the airport?

Welcome to VAF!!!!

First I would like to introduce myself. My name is Andrew Broadfoot

Andrew, welcome to the good ship VAF. You came to the right place for info on things RVish.

Here are my totally subjective opinions about the fastback from ShowPlanes. Dont know about other fastbacks.

Looks better. Better ventilation on ground. Better access to panel instruments and wiring. No roll bar in forward visibility area. Easier rear seat entry/exit. Additional width at the front seat shoulder area.

Did I mention just look better?

The factory has this already available as an option, IIRC.

Adjustable pedals already part of the kit.

Yes, but you should check with the factory before removing/cutting or modifying something structural.

Good luck---Carry on.

I'll concur with Mike...

No roll bar in front of my eyes, and the shoulder room are the 2 main reasons I'm doing the SP FB.

I'm still noodle-ing about the bottom of the instrument panel, but if I do take some material off, I will put some kind of angle on the back to replace the "flange" at the bottom...for structural stiffness.

Did I mention, it looks better? :D;)

Joe

Thank you everyone for all of the information. I should not that before I take on the tail I will probably work on the two practice kits Van's sells.