Jim Lewellyn

Well Known Member
Does the RV-8 quick build wing come from the factory with holes in the ribs for a wire duct? In other words, would a finished RV-8 have a way to route wiring out to the wing tip other than through the rib lightening holes?

My QB was a 7, but I am pretty sure they use the same wings. If so, there are no pre-punched holes for the wiring conduit. This is one area, where Vans could save us all a ton of work. Looking a builders logs, nearly all of us end up drulling holes for conduit. Punching one 3/4" inch hole in the correct location would probaly add less than $1 per rib, but save the builder (espically the QB builder a ton of time).

Ok - down from my soapbox. What I did was to make a plywood template that I could slip into the wing thru the access holes with a 1/4" hole in it at the correct location. That way I could drill the wiring conduit hole in the same location in each rib. From there, its just a bunch of 12" drill extensions and step drills.

Hope this helps,
Jason

My QB was a 7, but I am pretty sure they use the same wings. If so, there are no pre-punched holes for the wiring conduit. This is one area, where Vans could save us all a ton of work. Looking a builders logs, nearly all of us end up drulling holes for conduit. Punching one 3/4" inch hole in the correct location would probaly add less than $1 per rib, but save the builder (espically the QB builder a ton of time).

Ok - down from my soapbox. What I did was to make a plywood template that I could slip into the wing thru the access holes with a 1/4" hole in it at the correct location. That way I could drill the wiring conduit hole in the same location in each rib. From there, its just a bunch of 12" drill extensions and step drills.

Hope this helps,
Jason

How many access holes does the 7 wing have? My 6 only has one, and you would really have trouble reaching past any more than one rib.

It's not overly difficult. The QB wing comes with the outer bottom skin off, and you have good access to the inboard section from each end, and via the "holes" in the ribs.

Before

Yes, do this before the last skin is riveted on. I pulled the conduit through and "tacked" it to the ribs with small globs of RTV. Initial pilot holes done with a long #30 bit, eyeballing it for vertical/horizontal alignment.

Yes, do this before the last skin is riveted on. I pulled the conduit through and "tacked" it to the ribs with small globs of RTV. Initial pilot holes done with a long #30 bit, eyeballing it for vertical/horizontal alignment.

Thanks. That's what I figured. The reason for my original question is that I am considering the purchase of a completed 8 but I would want to make some additions to it that would require wiring the wing.