Kato's 8

Well Known Member
Hi fellow builders!
My newest observation of things undone that Should have been done by our QB team in the phillipines is 4 empty and undimpled holes in the bottom fuse skins F-826-1 and F-827-1 directly below the center spar chanel. You know, the place that you cant get to? Well I had previously had to install a dozen bolts in that chanel that should have been done and now this. I call Guss (nice guy btw) at Van's about this and his response was 'they must of had a bad day on that section". Yes I bit my tongue since there has been too many issues like this and it seems to me, 11 thousands greenbacks for a QB should result in a nearly perfect QB. But that's just me I guess. It seems there is a terrible quality control system there. I know of one other builder so far with the same issue.
Has anyone dimpled and set these rivits on a QB and if so, how did you tackle it?
Thanks in advance!!
Bill

***note this was meant to be titled RV8 QB not RV9

There are many examples of - er - omissions on the 8 we are building, I will check this one when next in the shop.

Last ones I had to correct were on the sides of the centre roll bar - you can't get a bar in to buck the rivets so in went Cherry Max structural pull rivets - all went well.

In this case, I would look at either getting an Avery 'pop' dimpler set, if the structure behind it allows. If not, get in with a de burrer or countersink and get a good countersunk pull rivet in.

Alternatively, and as it's under the airplane, use a low profile high strength pull rivet and move on..........

Bring back CZAW :(

Look/feel into the hole in the center section that the control column passes through and see if the corresponding holes in the forward floor panel were dimpled. If they are, I would second the suggestion to use a pop-rivet dimpler. I they are not, the forward floor skin is pretty thick and you may have trouble getting a good dimple using a pop-rivet dimpler. I have also machine countersunk after pop-rivet dimpling to get a better/crisper recess for the rivet head. You should be able to buck these rivets with a helper if you don't want to use pulled rivets. What did Gus suggest BTW ?

Kerry

Look/feel into the hole in the center section that the control column passes through and see if the corresponding holes in the forward floor panel were dimpled. If they are, I would second the suggestion to use a pop-rivet dimpler. I they are not, the forward floor skin is pretty thick and you may have trouble getting a good dimple using a pop-rivet dimpler. I have also machine countersunk after pop-rivet dimpling to get a better/crisper recess for the rivet head. You should be able to buck these rivets with a helper if you don't want to use pulled rivets. What did Gus suggest BTW ?

Kerry

Gus had mentioned using a die on a bucking bar from inside that bulkhead area and using the male die in a rivit gun to lightly pound in the rivit dimple. Then choce of pull rivit or regular AN rivit. Or just forgo the dimple and set a srface rivit. I was hoping to avoid pulling the control column out of the way-again but....seems to be the best way

Pop Rivit

I have had several issues with my QB, none that could not be overcome but like you, if you pay the money you want a flawless product, but alas that's not happening.

If it were mine I would just install a Cherry rivet (universal head, no countersink) and move on. It is on the bottom of the plane and the little drag from a couple rivit is not big thing. Now if you are a perfectinist then you can find a way to get a regular flush rivit set.

I bought a setup from Avery I think, it has the 3/16 hole for the dies and the weight of a bucking bar. This uses the rivet gun for the opposite die, very handy tool to have around.

Cheers

Thanks to all.
Im not a perfectionist but I do work hard to do things correctly and then keep it looking good if I can. A cherry max rivit might be what I end up doing but havent decided yet.

NAS1097's

I have the same 4 holes without rivets--checked and they are not dimpled. I plan to lightly countersink the skin and then use NAS1097's. They have a shallow head-won't take much of a c/s. Bill and I must have had the same QB team. We've had identical issues throughout the QB fuselage, as I'm sure many others have as well. The QB is a great time saver, however looks like some of these repeat issues could be resolved at the factory.

Steve
Skyking902001
RV-8
Mustering courage to
attack the canopy.