I'm starting to mount the main gear legs on my QB fuselage. If I'm reading the manual correctly, I'll eventually need to drill holes in the bottom skins in order to drill the most forward/rearward holes through U-805-1 (outboard wear plate, pre-drilled). Do I have that right? I'm a little reluctant to add holes to my skins. Any suggested alternatives? Otherwise, any advice for positioning and drilling the holes through the skins?

Thanks,

Mark
RV-8, Fuselage

RV-8 QB gear legs

That is correct.

With the QB you will need to drill holes in the skins in order to drill the outside holes on the gear leg attach bracket.

I believe the holes eventually get covered by the upper gear leg fairings.

I used a unibit, which will allow you to upsize the hole if needed.

-Mike Draper
RV-8 (finish)

Gear legs

MarkSchmitz said:
... Do I have that right? I'm a little reluctant to add holes to my skins. ...
It does seem weird when you are doing this. I had the same kind of surprised reaction when I got to that point. Yes, as Mike says, you've gotta do it, and it eventually gets covered up by the upper gear leg fairings. I tried to make them just big enough for the correct socket to go in, and I succeeded on three of the holes. One was a bit bigger, but it's no big deal.

Thanks for the replies. I just couldn't shake off the thought that I was reading something wrong. I appreciate the confirmations.

I didn't think about the fairings covering up the holes. That makes it seem a little less painful.

Thanks again,

Mark