cjhammes

Well Known Member
Another milestone reached over the weekend. Took my fuse and wing to their new home at the airport. No issues during transport and unloading. Was feeling great!

Put the wings in with temp bolts and then began the process for the close tolerance bolts. Used a light coating of lube, wooden hammer and periodic use of rivet gun and brass tip set with low psi. Installed all 16 close tolerance bolts, washers and nuts with no issue. Was feeling great again!

Situation changed with installing the 4, 4-13A bolts that are secured by a platenut. Right side went in fine, then trouble on the left. Could not get them to go in further than 1 inch. Got a mirror and flashlight out for a look. Hole is centered but appears to be undersized preventing the 4-13A bolt from moving any further. I have not done any reaming/drilling to the main spar or center section per instructions.

I will call Vans today for a solution, but curious if any of you have ever run into this?

Yes. 8A QB. Same problem. Used bit same diameter as bolt shaft and opened up the entry hole only (and carefully). Worked fine.

Try running a -3 bolt in to see if the QB'ers have used the wrong nutplate (not unknown). Not sure how easy it would be to replace?

If not, try tapping the hole in case it is distorted / full of paint or something.

The bolts are important (see the SB), and even though plenty have flown without them (see the SB!), I'd make all efforts to get a good bolt in there

Thanks guys. The mothership said the same. 1/4 bit and carefully clean the hole. Also I did confirm I had the right nutplate using a #3 bolt, hole too big. All is good.