AirbusPilot

Well Known Member
Hi Folks,

My 8 is almost out of phase one and this is what I have found:

1.-My Red Cube Fuel Flow is very but very accurate.
2.-Pitot-Static error in my plane is within 1%.
3.-Dynon capacitive fuel sensor are not very accurate when tanks are full.
4.-My Performance almost match Van`s performance except for 55% power
5.-I love to fly my 8 and I think is the best plane ever:D

My Performance
Cruise [75% @ 8000 ft] 204 mph
Cruise [65% @ 8000 ft]185 mph
Cruise [55% @ 8000 ft]169 mph
Stall Speed Full Flap 51 mph
Stall Speed Clean 60 mph

Van`s Performance
Cruise [75% @ 8000 ft] 204 mph
Cruise [55% @ 8000 ft]182 mph
Stall Speed 51 mph

Last edited:
RV-8 performnce

Thanks Fernando: Nice to hear confirmation of Van's numbers. Enjoy flying your wonderful airplane!

My -10 also matched Van's numbers....

...during the Race-to-Ridgeland last month. The Dynon showed between 210 and 212 MPH, TAS..Van claims 211...amazing. It was WOT at 800',

Best,

Looking for help here...

RV-8 (not 8A) with Lyco IO-360 hartzel CS
it has wheel pants, gear legs are not faired though. the rest of the plane is pretty stock with dynon efis and ems

Stall speeds are right on with the original posters specs...top end is not...GPS ground speed on a four leg course at 8000ft is 165 kts...anyone have any ideas on what to check?

Has anyone finished a build with similar performance and then "fixed it up" for more?

Thanks!

Believe it or not,

.....the gear legs create more drag than the wheels!

On the -6A, Van claims 12 MPH for the legs and 4 for the wheels. Yep, we picked up 16 MPH after fairing the gear legs and adding wheelpants and upper and lower intersection fairings,

Best,

ps- Where in Georgia are you located?

I'm with Pierre - if the gear legs aren't faired, then you probably don't have upper or lower intersection fairings yet either. The upper and lowers ALONE are worth about 10-12 knots! Finish up all your fairing,s adn then see where you are - I bet you'll be surprised.

Paul

Thanks for the info guys! Was a little worried on this end, but thats reasurring. Looks like I have some finishing work to get after :)

Pierre, we are flying out of Griffin

well...got her all faired up and 25/25 is showing 165 kts ground (4 direction pattern) at 3000 ft at 90 outside air...

What speeds are you guys getting running 25/25?

Thanks!

well...got her all faired up and 25/25 is showing 165 kts ground (4 direction pattern) at 3000 ft at 90 outside air...

What speeds are you guys getting running 25/25?

Thanks!

Go up to 8000 ft and fly it 25/25 probably less that 165 IAS but I am sure you will get near 180 TAS.

For anyone else wondering why your plane might be slow...

I have changed locations with my 8 and temperature has a HUGE effect on performance. There are no performance charts that I'm aware of, so it kind of took me by surprise when my numbers changed.

Going from 90F to 65F, my climb performance is spot on with Vans numbers on the site. Cruise performance is as well...

I did have a problem with my airspeed due to a static system problem. You need to make sure that your static ports are not flush with the skin at the aft fuselage. I followed some results from a thread here on VAF and put the washer behind the rivet head and placed it over the static port, and my airspeeds are indicating exactly where they should.

With 75F temps, I'm getting 180+ktas at cruise with 12.5 gal/hr

I saw a post where someone provided climb info, so i thought id provide mine here.

From 1710 MSL to 11710 MSL in 5 min 40 sec

175 KTAS at 12000 MSL on 10 gal/hr

What an airplane!