Marvin

Has anyone installed oxygen in their RV8 . I want to and looking for ideas as to where to place the bottle and what system . Mountain High looks good but so do the others. Any ideas would be appiciated

Bottle

Has anyone installed oxygen in their RV8 . I want to and looking for ideas as to where to place the bottle and what system . Mountain High looks good but so do the others. Any ideas would be appiciated

I found a fire extinguisher bracket that fit my bottle and bolted it down to the rear cargo comp. using doublers and nutplates in the floor. Most companies will have brackets for mounting.

I ran the plastic tubing out the seat belt opening and attatched it to wiring running under the canopy rail with velcro. It's very easy to install and remove for filling.

Make sure you get something that the oxygen flow can be adjusted in flight in case you need to climb to get over some of the cumulus that tops out above 13-16 thousand.

I've had my -8 to 17,500 enroute from San Francisco to Kingman, AZ. The Sierra Mts. still looked too close to my toes for me to feel comfortable.:eek:

Be sure to get a Pulse-Oximeter and check your blood O-2 saturation regularly. Read everything you can find on anoxia-hypoxia.

If you get a chance to get a ride in either the USAF or the FAA's low pressure chambers, jump on it. Here you can learn your individual symptoms that can warn you that you're getting too little oxygen.

Last edited:
Placed my bottle in the fwd baggage. Replaced my 413ltr aluminum bottle with a Luxfer carbon M22A 613ltr 3.3lb bottle. SAved ~6lbs in the front, which I needed to save. I cant deal with anymore nose weight that I already have.
Installed an MH quick release bulkhead fitting in the baggage, split the line with a simple tee, and put 2 MH quick release fittings on the panel.
Does not get much cleaner than this. It does mean the pax line runs over the roll bar (past your right shoulder) to the back. No big deal. I was too lazy to run the line through the spar web and under the seats.
This install allows me to install and turn the bottle on before flight. And use it or not with no O2 loss if I dont. These fittings have no loss of O2 when not in use. You do have to remember to turn it on though in the baggage before flight. I have a simple velcro strap holding it in, although I have enough **** down in the hole to keep it from moving around.
They(MH) do have cool electronic solenoids for this, but Im way too cheap for that. I always know before I launch if there is a potential for use.
The key to this system for me is to just drop the bottle in and connect. I so rarely use the bottle, I want it outta there 99% of the time.
You can see by the tank height that a much bigger bottle can fit in there, but this volume is way more than I ever use even on long flights with 2 people.
Key items for me... Light weight removable bottle with enough air for 2 at 20k' for hours, quick release, easy connection in the cockpit of canula lines.
newtank.jpg

fwdbag1.jpg

fwdbag2.jpg

panel.jpg