gear1

Well Known Member
For some time I have had a portable oxygen system with a 22 cubic foot bottle. For solo work it was great - simply strap it in the back seat. But with two passengers the bottle had to move. Moving to either baggage compartment was the only choice, but three things concerned me: 1) Emergency shut off of the system 2) Removability and 3) individual control of the front and rear seat oxygen supply. #1 was the greatest concern in the event of fire. My solution was to manufacture a pulley replacing the valve knob, a cable to rotate the valve, and an emergency handle in the cockpit. #2 was solved by CNC manufacture of two Delrin mounts with hose clamps to carry the bottle. The rear of the mounts are inserted under "footman's loops), while the front of the mounts are held by CamLock fasteners. #3 was solved by using individual Mountain High "GlowMeter" volume controls front and rear to supply the cannulae. The links to the photographs are:

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff469/gear1van/o2systeminstalled2.jpg

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff469/gear1van/partsoxygensystem1.jpg

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff469/gear1van/o2systeminstalled4.jpg

Not shown is the small spring that goes behind the shutoff handle. The spring provides a slight tension on the cable to retain it on the pulley.
I believe that this solution would be usable in both front and rear baggage compartments, but if it is installed in the rear baggage compartment it interferes with my wife?s suitcase. In the front, the cable routing and handle are easy to accomplish, and I can still get my duffle bag in the front baggage compartment.
If anyone is interested in building such a system, the machinist that built the pulley and mounts would be happy to create more. He is free to use the drawings that I provided to build the parts for any Vans AirForce member. Please send a PM and I will put you into contact with him. My bottle is 4.375? in diameter, but I can easily modify the drawing for any diameter bottle. There would be no charge for the drawings ? consider it my ?pay it forward? for all of the help that I have received from VAF. Simply pay the machinist for his work.

Aerox makes a remote on/off valve for the bottle, both electronic and manual lever type, the key being that it works for on and off, not just off

RV8 Oxygen system

Brian,

Thanks for the update, Brian. I had looked over the websites for Oxygen systems and could not find such a part. I also called several suppliers, who all recommended high pressure lines from the remotely mounted bottle to a cockpit mounted regulator instead of a remote shutoff. I did not like that idea, as I could not remove the entire system when I wanted to lighten the AC. Ah, well, better late than never!

I will report on the Aerox remote shutoff system as soon as I can contact them (they appear to be off today...).

Brian,

Thanks for the update, Brian. I had looked over the websites for Oxygen systems and could not find such a part. I also called several suppliers, who all recommended high pressure lines from the remotely mounted bottle to a cockpit mounted regulator instead of a remote shutoff. I did not like that idea, as I could not remove the entire system when I wanted to lighten the AC. Ah, well, better late than never!

I will report on the Aerox remote shutoff system as soon as I can contact them (they appear to be off today...).

http://www.aerox.com/4110-112.htm

You can do a hybrid system and do not have to do a high pressure run if you're experimental, most of their suggestions are around STC's and retrofits in certified planes

Having said that, it makes the most sense to hardplumb a 1/8" copper pipe to where you want your bottle, and have your regulator near the pilot side, with a plumbed pipe back to the passenger and the outlets, they quoted it up for me around $1050 with the bottle and all.

Don't Forget!!!!!!

Don't Forget!!!!!!:D
...A absolute necessity for any good system is an high quality, very inexpensive, Oxy-Pulse meter from Anti-Splat-Aero. Regards, Allan

I would avoid cu tubing on the high pressure side (and low pressure side) of the O2 system.

My workaround was to mount the O2 bottle in the rear baggage compartment with the valve/pressure gauge sticking through the rear PAX bulkhead (on the extreme right side). This allows me (PIC) to reach back and turn the O2 on/off manually and I have no high pressure lines to contend with.

In my last airplane I did a very similar thing except I custom fabricated (welded) a s/s fitting and hard s/s line to locate the pressure gauge further forward so I could easily see it; turning the bottle on/off was still an easy reach aft.

Just another way to solve the problem. I have quite a few hours flying with the second set-up and was very (very) happy with it; and is why I pretty much duplicated it in the Rocket.

02 bottle question?

Is there any reason a guy shouldn't mount a bottle on the floor, front & center in a side by side two place? Thanks, Allan

The first RV I saw with oxygen was in front, between the seats.
I think the bottle was upright. It's been a while...

Thanks!

Craig,
That's a good looking installation! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences on this. I hope to put O2 in my bird some day, but as of now I don't have a big need and other things on the to-do list.

Good luck with it!

Craig;
I was wondering why you settled on a "pull only" cable and wheel, when you maybe could have used a reach rod to open and close the O2 bottle?
I always want to have the option to open or close the O2 in flight.

One reason...

Is there any reason a guy shouldn't mount a bottle on the floor, front & center in a side by side two place? Thanks, Allan

Although very low probability, I had a friend doing flight testing on the Super Hornet who had a leak in the O2 bottle in his seat. The leak (High pressure venting=low temp) provided both a fire hazard and nearly froze his @$$ off, literally!

Oxygen System

Brett,

Thanks for the kind words. So far the system is working perfectly, and I am amazed how much difference the O2 does make on a long/high flight.

Scott,

You asked why a pull-off only system. First, my main concern is the ability to turn the oxygen off in the event of smoke or fire. That is also the reason I elected to have all of the high pressure portion of the system in one location - ho high pressure tubes in the cockpit. When I was a pilot in the Navy, I had an acquaintence put his oxygen mask on, then turned on the oxygen, which ignited some residue in his mask. The fire killed him. This incident gave me a healthy fear of oxygen. Second, I already had the oxygen system with its own shutoff valve, and a pulley was an easy way to shut if off. The system does not leak a bit when the system is pressurized, so an "off only" valve seemed reasonable. Third, I wanted a system that was easily removed to get rid of the 11# weight when not needed. The bayonet connector on the low pressure outlet of the regulator and the Camloc fasteners work great for this.

I do like the off-on valve system mentioned earlier in this thread but it appears that this system is designed for permanantly mounted systems. Caviat: I did not know about this shutoff system when I installed the system.

Thanks, everyone, for your comments. As always, VAF is a great resource for learning.

Craig