Airzen

Well Known Member
Can some one please let me know what drawings I should be refer to while installing manual Elevator trim on an RV-8. I am especially looking for instructions on how to mount the Elevator control knob.

The plans refer to DWG 63, 69, 70, 71 for routing and DWG 4 for assembly to the elevator. But I couldnt find anything about where to mount the control.

Any pointers / suggestions will be very appreciated.

Ashish

On my -6a...

I just made it part of the flange I mounted the Andair fuel selector on, bent up an appropriate amount, snaking the cable aft. It falls easily to hand that way. I think Van's had it mounted on his console thingy that went from the floor up to the panel and held the various control cables. Our first RV was that way and I hated trying to squeeze my legs in with the console always in the way. Plus, on long cross countries with Otto-Pilot I liked to spread my feet over to the right side... If wife wasn't along, that is... :)

Ooops! Just noticed you have an -8a. Don't know if my method is helpful to you, maybe over on the right side? Bet some -8 owners will weigh in...

Last edited:
Thanks Jerry...

Thanks Jerry - Yeah I have thought of alternate locations but thought I'd write and see if folks have suggestions.

I think most time critical information that I need to know is that where to put a whole in the panel (and what dimensions). I'll be getting my panel cut soon and need to get all these little details sorted out.

So if you've installed manual trim on an RV-8 panel please do let me know what size hole and position would work well.

Ashish

don't remember the hole size,but the location seems to work well for making airplane noises so far (not flying yet)

DSC_2320.jpg

Interesting...

I was interested in the fact that there were only two replies to this question. Is that because there are not many manual trims being installed in RV-8's these days? I know of two other -8's that were started this month, both with manual trim. Just curious? :confused:

Left sub-panel

Just like shown in the post by N258RE, thats where the drawings show it. Look at the drawing that shows the assembly of the instrument panel.

I've been flying 3 years. I like it there.