Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
I was looking at the preliminary FAA reports this evening and saw this one - an RV-8 that lost a prop in Oklahoma. It says the aircraft was destroyed, but injuries were minor. The FAA N-Number database isn't workign, so don't know who this is - here's hoping the injuries were truly minor! Anyone know anything about this unfortunate incident?

IDENTIFICATION
Regis#: 127TT Make/Model: RV8 Description: VANS RV-8
Date: 05/06/2010 Time: 1453

Event Type: Accident Highest Injury: Minor Mid Air: N Missing: N
Damage: Destroyed

DESCRIPTION
AIRCRAFT LOST PROPELLER IN-FLIGHT AND CRASHED UNDER UNKNOWN CIRCUMSTANCES;
PRAGUE, OK

INJURY DATA Total Fatal: 0
# Crew: 1 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 1 Unk:
# Pass: 0 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:

WEATHER: TIK 061455 13005KT 10SM CLR 22/15 A2981

OTHER DATA
Activity: Unknown Phase: Unknown Operation: OTHER

FAA FSDO: OKLAHOMA CITY, OK (SW15) Entry date: 05/07/2010

Maybe on the ground?

This might be a ground incident?

Never mind - more data below....

Last edited:
Looks like he lost one blade off a 3-blade wood prop and had to pull off the power.

Looks like he lost one blade off a 3-blade wood prop and had to pull off the power.

My impression also. Lucky it didn't remove the engine.

Sure would like to know the propeller brand. There's at least one ground-adjustable wood prop brand with a history of throwing blades.

Love my Hartzell

I love every ounce of my 52 pound, nearly bullet proof, Hartzell. After putting the Hartzell on the front of my Christen Eagle through twelve years of propeller H*** without a problem, the decision to go Hartzell on the Doll was an easy one!

I'm so grateful that this RVer escaped without injury, and I hope his 8 can be repaired.

re: friend

Clint Hager of Prague, OK is afriend of mine. I think he had just taken off and a blade come off. He landed in a field and flipped over. It fractured one of his wrist. He is OK.
I'll post more when I find out all the details. One of his very close friends is my next door neighbor.

Marshall Alexander