Steve Kimble

I'm New Here
Hello all!

I was wondering if some of you good people could answer from a new RV-8 builder.

I received the RV-8 Empennage Kit a few weeks ago and I was wondering, is it really necessary to make use of a 'Jig' in order to make the Horizontal Stabilizer for the RV-8?

I have looked on several RV-8 construction web sites and most mention and show the Jig in use.
Whereas a few do not make use of the Jig.
And the plans do not mention anything about this Jig.

If anyone could clarify this issue I sure would appreciate it and thanks in advance.

Jigs not required

Steve,

One of the many advantages of the pre-punched parts is that no jigs are required. I built my 7A empennage (which I believe is essentially the same as the 8's) without any jigs. I did do some alignment checking, just to be sure, and in every case the assemblies were true.

There are times you may want to make a quick and dirty jig to hold the parts in a convenient position for drilling and/or riveting (especially if working alone).

The wings require 'the frame' (as noted in the plans) and a LE cradle. The fuselage doesn't require any frames - but a lot of folks make/buy a stand to allow you to rotate it, again for easier access.

You will become very familiar with the concept of: assemble, drill, disassemble, deburr, dimple/countersink - so few words, so many holes :rolleyes:

Happy building!

Dennis Glaeser
7A Wings (putting the bottom skin on the first wing)

Not gettin jiggy with it

I just finnished the Vert Stab for my -7. I built both the HS and VS without jiggs. They both came out perfectly true. You may want to consider building the VS first. Much easier. Although the VS went very fast as I am now getting in the groove (assemble, drill, ect..).

Mucho thanks guys!

I was doing some work on the Horizontal Stabilizer last night and I see now what you mean.

While a Jig is not actually necessary for the construction of this particular item, using a Jig sure would make the construction more efficient since it would allow one to work on both the top and the bottom sections unimpeded. Furthermore, the Jig will make it easier to hold the Horizontal Stabilizer steady while it is being drilled, marked, riveted, etc.

This evening I am going to make this Jig.

Thanks again!

:)

DGlaeser said:
Steve,

<SNIP>
The fuselage doesn't require any frames - but a lot of folks make/buy a stand to allow you to rotate it, again for easier access.
<SNIP>

Not true on the 8, the Fuse only has pre-punched skins, Jigging is still required. :(