cuzzroy

My brother and I recently purchased an RV-8 Empennage Kit from an individual. Overall, the kit is in good condition. However, we noticed that on one of the HS-702 Front Horizontal Stab. Spars the owner "mis-drilled" a hole as shown in the attached picture. The "mis-drilled" hole is adjacent (very close) to the correct hole as shown in the pic and is drilled approx. 1/2 through the spar (not completely through). Q: In your professional opinion...is this part still usable? Is the mis-drilled hole repairable? ...or do I need to replace with a new spar? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan

http://i1353.photobucket.com/albums/q671/Dan_Roy/HS-702FrontSpar.jpg

Last edited:
I'd contact Van's. They may be able to propose a repair scheme. If not, I'd replace the parts, as this is a highly stressed part, and a failure could be fatal.

Update: No longer an issue. After acquiring the previous owner's inventory list, my brother and I did a detailed inventory and noticed that he had already ordered replacement parts from Van's (the HS-702 Front Spar, the HS-405 Rib, and the HS-810-1 Reinforcement Angle). Thanks for everyone's help.

r,
Dan