donaziza

Well Known Member
Hey guys and Gals, Garmin Pilot just updated their app on androids where they now show the "glide range ring". (Done earlier on the iPads) I didn't build my RV 8,----can y'all tell me what the glide ratio on an RV 8 might be? Of course, they would all be slightly different, BUT---if one has an engine failure, something in the box is better than nothing.

PS, I called Vans first of course, he said he didn't know--ask on here on VAF.

Last edited:
I just ran a series of glide tests. My best glide was about 11:1 @ 90 KIAS. 1401 lbs.

same

Ive just completed my flight test period and my glide tests showed the same, 11:1 at 85 mph. 1400 pounds.

I have a fixed pitch prop and that makes a huge difference. I used to fly an 8 with a three blade composite, constant speed prop and that glide ratio in fine pitch was in the order of 7:1.

S

I’m using 8.5 to 1 @ 104kts on o360 constant speed Hartzell blended airfoil, but I got this figure off another thread, and haven’t ever tested it. I’ve seen 11.1 to 1 with engine idling , but there is a big difference when it stops running.

Last edited:
11:1

Ok, so math in public is not my strong suit. But for ease of math for me, thats just under 2nm for every 1k' loss?