BlakeB

Well Known Member
Hey Guys,

I'm looking for ideas to mount a garmin 496 on my RV 8 panel without cutting into my panel. I would like to have it set up on top of my throttle in the left corner. I'm thinking of trying to hang it of the braces in the corner. Has anyone tried this? Any pics out there would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Blake
RV-8

Ram mount

I bought a ram mount and cut a small strip of aluminum and drilled two holes to match the bottom of the mount. I attached the ram mount on the triangular brace just in front of the roll bar through the lightening holes with the strip in back and the brace sandwiched in between.
At first I thought it might be a bit close to my face but I really like the location. You can easily mount the Garmin either right or left, mine is on the right and it does not block any instruments.

The triangular brace is shown above Paul's Garmin. My 496 is mounted much the same but about 10 inches higher and a little more forward. It hides only the key/mag switch in my line of sight.

It works best for me on the right and 'working' the buttons with my left hand with the right staying on the stick.

Last edited:
The same but different...

Yesterday the temperature was finally good (48F) but the visibility wasn't (<1/4 mile). Very frustrating but I puttered around the plane, cleaning and checking things. Finally I decided to tackle remounting my Garmin 496.

One of the previous owners had mounted it on top of the glare shield, which some people like, but I found distracting. It swiveled 90 degrees so could be somewhat out of the way during landing and taking off, but I never felt comfortable with it there. You can click on most of the pictures to see them full size.

I'd seen pictures of several RV4s and 8s that used Ram mounts to mount the GPS to one or another structures on the side of the cockpit, and had been collecting bits and pieces of hardware to try and do that. Here's the Ram B-101 mount I bought back in September.

The Garmin mount uses #6 flathead screws, which are quite a bit smaller than the holes int eh Ram mount. To get the screws to fit well to the Ram mount I used some 1/4" dia nylon spacers, and reduced their diameter a little using a belt sander. I completed the assembly with 6-32 x 3/4 flathead screws, fender washers and nylon locknuts.

Saturday morning I had read SteveKs post about using a piece of aluminum. However I was at the hanger and the aluminum, drill, tap etc. were all at the house 15 miles away. But there was a Lowes nearby. Off I went looking for an alternative. I found these screen clips:

I then used some #8 screws and nuts to attach them to the Ram mount. The picture shows three but I ended up just using two.

The base was then attached through the large lightening hole int he gusset on the right side of the canopy foward of the windshield bow. The "L" portion of the clips were arranged to press against the backside of the gusset. By putting the L in that position, the bracket is forced in the right direction when the screw is tightened.

Here's the final look, with the GPS tucked a little out of the way.

Now I need to neatly reroute the wires and remove the old mount. I still need to do a proper mounting job with the XM and GPS antennas. The weather has now turned cold again, with wind gusts to 45 mph, so maybe I'll tackle the antenna mount next.

I have not flown with it yet but I already like it better. As others have commented, it's convenient and easy to operate, easy to see, and doesn't block anything else. I think using a piece of aluminum with a couple of threaded holes would be easier and better but this was a good work around.

Nice job.

I think you will like that location, same as mine. It feels very natural to me..the 8 has limited options for mounting locations unless you do a panel mount and I think where you mounted it will be very accessible to 'punch the buttons'.

I think you will like that location, same as mine. It feels very natural to me........I think where you mounted it will be very accessible to 'punch the buttons'.
I agree. Mounted in my -6A in such a way as to provide a similar perspective, I much prefer manipulating and viewing the handheld GPS in that relative location than I do the panel mounted GPS.