I'm seeking opinions/insight on insulation/sound proofing in the RV-8 fuselage. I live in Iowa and am wondering if I should be concerned about the cold in particular. That aside, I don't know what to expect with the noise level (or if it's even a concern with the right headsets.) Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark Schmitz
RV-8 QB Fuselage

Keeping an RV-8 Comfortable in the winter

Hi Mark:

I live in the Northeast and am currently in the finish stage of my RV-8. To keep my RV-8 comfortable during winter flying I plan on...

* Installing aileron boots to keep the cold drafts out.
* Installing back and front stick covers.
* Using a Vetterman exhaust with dual mufflers. Each muffler is also a heat muff.
* Two heater control boxes, on plumbed to each muff. One heater box on the center of the firewall, the other plumbed to an eyeball vent.
* Heated seats
* Tight seal on canopy skirts to keep the drafts out.

I will most likely go with a cloth interior with a thin insulated backing.

Any other ideas/suggestions welcomed.

Mike Draper
RV-8 Finish
Getting ready to hang the engine.

Mark, just curious, where are you located in Iowa? I'm in Williamsburg and belong to EAA Chapter 33 in Cedar Rapids. I don't know eveyone there yet though. There are a couple of 8's flying in the chapter but I'm not sure if they did anything on insulation or not. Maybe Mark N. will chime in, I know he checks the board here some.

Mike:

I like your approach and focus on keeping things tight. I've mulled over heated seats myself. I used to think they were "a bit much." That is, until my wife got them with her car. She doesn't have to ask "Who's car?" when we head out in the cooler weather; we both know the answer!

John:

I'm building in Boone (along with a dozen or so other people) and live in Ames.

Mark Schmitz
RV-8, QB Fuselage

Mark, I knew there were several builbers i nthe area there. My son and I flew up to the Boone RV flyin this summer with some friends in the RVs.

If you ever get in the Williamsburg area stop and say hi.