lucaperazzolli

Well Known Member
Hi,

could post some pics and impression about this set-up. I need more space on my panel so this could be a good idea.

Thanks in advance

Hi,

could post some pics and impression about this set-up. I need more space on my panel so this could be a good idea.

Thanks in advance

Luke,
Yes, Vans intended for mounting of 2 1/4" fuel gauges on the left mid cabin cover (pent roof section). My photos won't do you any good. I have an 8A with the rear seat rudder pedal option. The 8A with rear rudder pedals (linkage design differs from the 8) requires modification of the pent roof area. Otherwise, on my ship, the electrical connector stud on the inboard gauge can come into contact with the bell-crank for the rear rudder cable. This is not an issue on the 8, with or without the rear rudder pedals.
Charlie Kuss

Fuel Guage Mounting

Chas,
My 8 kit didn't come with a 'pent roof section' for guage mounting on the console.

Both left and right mid console covers are flat.

Not sure if this is a change in the kit or if builders have just made their own mounts....the 'pent roof section' style mounts I've seen look good, so if someone has a part number or a design worked up I'm also interested.

Thanks,
Mike

Chas,
My 8 kit didn't come with a 'pent roof section' for guage mounting on the console.

Both left and right mid console covers are flat.

Not sure if this is a change in the kit or if builders have just made their own mounts....the 'pent roof section' style mounts I've seen look good, so if someone has a part number or a design worked up I'm also interested.

Thanks,
Mike

Mike,
I suspect that I was mistaken in my earlier post. Perhaps it's only the 8A that has the pent roof mid cabin covers. I've sent you 3 emails detailing this on my mid cabin covers. I had to make the pent roof section taller on mine.
Charlie

I didn't do the penthouse on mine. I just mounted a flat panel there and supported it. Not the classiest as you could see the back of the guages.

I ended up removing it as the guages didn't work in conjunction with the Dynon fuel guages. Since I felt the Dynon was more accurate, due to the way you calibrate it, I elected to remove the Guages and just use the Dynon. Bought a new flat panel from Van's and called it good.

I'll see if I can get a picture of the panel tomorrow and post it.

By the way this panel is available for the price of shipping and a couple of beers if anyone wants it.

8Panel1.jpg

8Panel2.jpg

Ted

Last edited:
Pent roof for fuel gauges on the left mid cabin cover

You can easily fabricate a pent roof section out of two pieces of .025" or .032" 2024-T3. Make templates out of cardboard first. Size the first piece so it's width matches that of the mid cabin cover. Form it into a 90 degree bent shape with 3/4" wide flat flanges on each end. The flanges are so you have a surface to either rivet or screw the pent roof section to the flat area of the mid cabin cover. Cut your two 2 1/4" holes for the fuel gauges into the section of the pent roof which will face the pilot. The second piece is a simple rib, which fits into the inboard section of the pent roof piece. This hides the back sides of the gauges, (cosmetics)
Charlie Kuss

Email sent

Look forward to meeting you.

...what airport are you near?

I'll just fly up and deliver it for the cost of a lunch (or breakfast)....:)

Your signature says you are doing electrical wiring... here is the data sheet for the part with the connections.

Send an email to gilalex (at) q.com and I'll give you my phone numbers.