Wicked Stick

Well Known Member
So far all I can find for alternatives to the standard hinge pin on the RV-8's front baggage door is what John Huft came up with.

I really want my baggage door to look like this:
baggage%20door%201.JPG

But was wondering if anyone else has come up with a different hidden hinge design than John's.
hinge%20dwg.JPG

If anyone else has a different way to keep it hidden, I'm all ears.

almost...

I was going to make a larger version of the hidden hinge design that is common for the oil door. You can do it by assembling a couple of lengths of angle. In the end, I decided it was not worth the trouble, and did it the stock way.

If I had quick access to a break that can bend U-channels, so that I could have made an alternate support part that borders the opening but would interface with the hidden hinge, I probably would have done it.

Be sure to post what you come up with. I'll copy it on my second one.

Hi Steve,

I've been pondering if it's worth the extra effort. I too am still on the fence about modify'ng it. I've drilled the stock pieces, but havn't come to a final decision on riveting the hinge pin on, or mimicking John Huft's design.

I did thicken up the .032 shim to .040 so the hinge pin will sit lower, and I guess most don't have too much issue with rain/water getting in it.

If I succumb to using the hinge pin, I suppose I'll make sure to buy a canopy cover for any overnights away from the hangar.

I guess I'll try and fabricate John's hinge pieces and see how it turns out.
If I don't like it, it looks like I can still go back to the hinge pin so long as I hold off drilling the firewall and bulkhead holes of the u channel piece.

In the middle of doing this now....

Dave,
I'm making an attempt at John Huft's design right now. I've got most of it clecoed together, but still need to add another support angle to stiffen the cross plate. Two concerns at this point for me are ... the structure does not appear to be very rigid and I'm not sure exactly when to rivet on the bottom (inside) skin. My first concern may not be an issue since the gas strut acts to hold the door closed and it will be latched at the other end, but the setup appears to leave the structure "weaker" than the plans design. My second concern I suppose is to rivet the inside skin per the plans. I bought a hidden oil cooler door hinge, so I'm after the same look as you with this effort. Still have more work to do on it.
-Jeff

Gas strut

Jeff. Where did you get the gas strut from and are you happy with it's operation? Thanks. Dave

While I haven't actually built this hinge yet, I figured I'd give this a try when I get to the baggage door. It uses common materials and is a full length hinge.

If anyone tries this, let me know how it came out! :D

hiddenhingewp1.jpg

By veetail88 at 2009-01-16

that might work, but you would have to trim the 821-B pieces a lot on the sides where the baggage door would dip down when open.

I think Huft's works nicely and is adjustable with the rod-end bearings.
But strenghtening the two hinged side pieces would be better if you welded on a box section across the two of them.
baggage%20door%203.JPG

Kind of hard to see in this picture but it does look like he is supporting/joining the two together with something like it.

Last edited:
Hidden Hinge

Hi Dave:

I used John's hidden hinge idea when I installed my baggage door. I had more of a challenge making the door than I did installing John's hinges.

Feel free to stop by if you want to take a look.

Mike Draper
RV-8 TMX O360 CS
N468RV

haven't gotten that far yet. i've stopped at the "clecoed" stage while i think about how to tackle the interference with my instrument access panel cut into the baggage compartment bulkhead.

i do agree with dave in that some strength needs to be added to the bracket assembly, but evidently it works for john huft.

Mike,
How did you locate the rod end bearing location in the bulkhead cross brace? It seems the rod end bearings allow for adjustment in/out, but was the "up/down? location just an interative fit up process? This part concerns me in getting a flush fitting door skin.

I know this is an old thread. Most of the pictures seem to no longer show up. Anyone have a link to to original post by John Huft in regards to his hidden hinge baggage door? Only link I can get to show up through a search is this one.