treeez

I am in the process of building the flaps on my RV8. Drawing 14A tells me to fabricate a tapered angle from .063x 3/4x 3/4 angle stock ( FL 406C) The only .063x3/4x3/4 angle that I can find in my parts inventory is the 3 12' pieces that came in the longeron kit. I know not to cut the 15' longeron angles but what about using some of the 12' angle for these 2 small pieces I have to make. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Mike.

Mike,

I asked the same question a couple of months ago. The best I could figure out is that it's OK to cut these angles for this. Looking at the plans and at a post by Kevin Horton on the Matronics list, it looks like you need to make sure you have 2 pieces 57" long and two pieces 105" long. Here's a link to Kevin's post. Kevin's matronics post

Cheers,
Guy

Yep, use the 12 footer

I've just done exactly this, and had the same question. I checked with Vans, and yes, you do indeed use one of the twelve foot lengths of angle to make those brackets.

Make sure you put aside the lengths of.063 as suggested by Guy (add an inch to each maybe). I cut up two of my 12 footers for stuff and now I can't get them replaced, Spruce doesn't even sell the right ones, they have 2024 which is 4 times the cost. I hate to order the 9 foot pc I need for the lower longeron from Vans because they'll probably charge me $200 to ship it.

The "big blue ATTENTION! sheet" sucks. It says not to cut the 15' X .125 stuff but makes no mention of the .063 angle. Maybe I should have reviewed the plans IN ADVANCE better but I thought I was ok just following along as I go. It makes you wonder.

Ok, I cut my 2 small pieces of angle off of one of the 12 footers. That will leave plenty of length for the 2 57" lengths for the fusalage and the other 2 12 footers will take care of the 105" lengths. Should be no problem, I should know for sure in about 4 months. Hope this makes it in the archives for future builders with this question.

Me too!!

treeez said:
Ok, I cut my 2 small pieces of angle off of one of the 12 footers. That will leave plenty of length for the 2 57" lengths for the fusalage and the other 2 12 footers will take care of the 105" lengths. Should be no problem, I should know for sure in about 4 months. Hope this makes it in the archives for future builders with this question.
Vans said to use one of the 12 footers, but said nothing of making sure I had a certain amount left over for the future. I should have plenty left, but like you, I'll know for sure in several months time. I've also ordered a couple of 6' lengths with my fuselage kit for those inevitable times when I don't have enough for reasons of my own making!!