flyboykelly

Well Known Member
I am building a standard RV-8. The plans are a little less forthcoming on the sequence for attaching the flap to the wing. Is the skin on the wing dimpled, the flap brace counter sunk and nothing done to the hinge?

yes

And I did mine with the hinge that came with the kit. It fit exactly at the min Edge distance.
Unfortunatly I was not as thoughtfull as yourself and I found that I had dimpled both the skin and the flap brace, along time ago. Had to come up with another plan on mine.

So, what was your solution since you already dimpled both. Guess who did the same thing? ME.

Looking for a solution myself.

OK. I un-dimpled the flap brace and countersinked it. After countersinking, I couldn't even tell I had made a mistake.

Why not just dimple all three (skin, brace, and hinge). On the 6 this is listed as an option in the manual, not sure if they suggest otherwise in the newer kits. I am planning to dimple all three, I did so on the flap side of the hinge already.

Why not just dimple all three (skin, brace, and hinge). On the 6 this is listed as an option in the manual, not sure if they suggest otherwise in the newer kits. I am planning to dimple all three, I did so on the flap side of the hinge already.

This is exactly what I did and it worked out fine. As someone else suggested, just be sure to leave the two sides of the hinge put together when dimpling to reduce the chance of distorting the hinge.

This is exactly what I did and it worked out fine. As someone else suggested, just be sure to leave the two sides of the hinge put together when dimpling to reduce the chance of distorting the hinge.

Bill,
What did you do to correct any waviness caused by the dimpling?
Charlie Kuss

Charlie,

If you're talking about waviness between the rivet holes, I didn't have any. When I did the hinge for the left flap I dimpled it with both halves together and it came out great. When I did the right one a few weeks later I had forgotten about keeping both halves together and dimpled one half of the hinge and wound up with a slight bow in it. I put both halves back together and then dimpled the other side and it came out straight. The bow turned out not to be a factor.

If I may chime in ...

I cannot speak to the '6', but on the '8' the instructions specify not to dimple the hinge due to the risk of deformation.