jthocker

Well Known Member
Scott Hersha sports the traditional RV grin after the fiirst flight of his not so traditional RV8, yesterday 10-28-08.

Scott flew chase on my RV6A's first flight with his RV6 a few years ago.
I returned the favor yesterday flying chase on his new RV8 fastback, with my stock RV8.
We now have 7 flying RV8's (with the 8th due to fly next week) at HAO(Cincinnati area).
Since Scott is pictorialy challenged I'm posting the pic's here for him, and I'll let him comment further on his flight and the unique interior his plane is sporting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats.:D

Man, that is sure a good looking mod. I just love the ShowPlanes setup.

Someday-----------

There is a guy building a rocket at 00V with what looks like an identical canopy setup as this.

Man, that is sure a good looking mod
Agreed... I love the look of the Fastback RV-8. If I were to build a second, that would probably be it.
I bet if Vans offered that as a kit option, they'd sell more of those than the conventional configuration.

Congratulations Scott.

Scott and I were flight instructors at Kalamazoo aviation together in the early 1970s. Didn't see or hear from him for 30 years, bumped into him a year ago on here VAF.NET.

Scott went on to become a Delta Captain I didn't.

Glad he is in the air again. Great looking plane Scott lets see some more pictures.

Last edited:
My RV-8 Fastback

Wow, what a great time I've had with this. I decided to build another RV after relunctantly selling my RV-6 and shortly thereafter learning that the Delta bankruptsy/pension plan termination may have some positive results for those of us left hanging. That's all I needed to hear and I called Van's that day to see what they had in stock. The fastback held some appeal, so I went with that. I modified my interior to make it more comfortable and user friendly for me and I'm really happy with it. My panel is 2 inches shorter in the middle. My stick is longer and 'bent' - actually welded with a couple 60 degree angles to give it a 2 1/2 inch aft offset to clear the behind the panel lateral support since it's taller and would interfere with that. I moved the throttle quadrant inboard 1 1/4 inches and made armrests (leather) that actually fit a normal human's arms and elbows. Visibility is amazing without the windshield frame. There is nothing blocking your view in any direction. My switch panel on the right is 1 1/2 inches wider too, so it houses a few more necessary items. My back seater has (her) own Garmin 296 so I should never hear "are we there yet?"- and her butt ought to be warm this winter too, thanks to the electrical 'stimulation'. The Garmin also has that instrument panel page so a real pilot in the back seat could probably fly for real (sort of ) from back there. Jon Thocker (RV expert) was there all along the way to consult with and was there for me when I first flew. I called him every day (still do) for help. What a resource and good friend. We have our own little RV Airforce at HAO (Butler County Regional) airport just north of Cincinnati. Eight RV-8's, one RV-10, one RV-9A, one RV-6, one RV-6A, one RV-7A, two RV-7's under construction, and two more RV-8's under construction. We don't have bombs, but we have smoke and we are formidable... or at least 'formationable'.... The VAF website is where we all meet up and have relationships before we actually ever meet. So the world is truly open to us in our own part of this RV universe. If any of you are in the HAO area, stop in and say hello. We'll have some 'Brats & Mets' and do some flying together.

Scott
RV-8 FLYING
HAO Hangar T-6E

N395V

Oh yea... This is for Milt.... My most memorable times of Kalamazoo were with Milt, our 'boss' Dick Mead and our wives. Our time there was short, but it was the best of times... for me anyway. When Milt and I connected after 30 years, as he says, through this website, he called me on the phone after seeing a post here. When I answered the phone, he said "is this the guy who doesn't know how to do a loop in a Grumman TR-2?". Well, that was me, and actually I did a great loop. The fact that I peeled the skin off his knuckles because he didn't trust me is another story. He asked me what I was doing and I said I was flying for Delta. I asked him the same question and he said he wasn't smart enough to be an airline pilot. I said "well what are you doing"? He said "I'm a heart surgeon." I don't even know if I spelled that right. Nobody told jokes better than Milt, but I knew this was no joke. For those of you that know him, Dr. Milt Concannon is no slouch. Building a Radial Rocket is not for the uninitiated. Guess we'll have to discuss that at a fly-in. How about Sun-N-Fun? See you there?

Scott

Way to go Scott. Fess up some photos of your interior mods when you get a chance.

For those of us dragging along behind you, got anything to report about the canopy assembly? Does it seem more or less air-tight compared to the typical canopy with skirts? Any air leaks at the front? Any functional change you would make?

<<For those of you that know him, Dr. Milt Concannon is no slouch. Building a Radial Rocket is not for the uninitiated.>>

You got that right!

RV-8 FB

I can't think of anything I would do differently as far as canopy construction goes. I just followed Brian's plans. The canopy seals very well along the sides and in the back, but there is air leaking up front. It comes in under the front canopy skirt and blasts down the face of the instrument panel. I think low pressure inside the cockpit is sucking air in through the front edge even though it fits very well (no lip and just enough room for paint not to chip). I think it will be fairly easy to eliminate when I find just the right thickness of felt or weatherstrip to go under the front skirt. The first stuff I tried was too thick and I couldn't get the canopy closed. The next thing I tried was just felt and it wasn't thick enough to make contact with the under side of the front canopy. I think a little searching at the aviation department at Home Depot will bring the results I need. Pictures of my interior are on the way as soon as I can either re-learn how to do it or get Jon Thocker to do it for me. Nothing dramatic, just a few little mods to make it more user friendly for me.

Scott

Scott, you can try an old trick from the model aviation world.

Tape a piece of Saran wrap over the fuse where the canopy seal is. Put a bead of sealant on the canopy. Close the canopy, and go away for the day.

When you open it back up, peal off the Saran wrap, and trim excess sealant that has squished out the sides.

Perfect seal.

Canopy seal

Mike,
Great idea. I think I'll try it. What kind of sealant would you use? I think any kind of sealant that will stick well to fiberglass and remain pliable would work, like maybe RTV/silicone. I'm headed to H.D. Thanks.

Scott

Scott, silicone is not too friendly for later painting. Latex should do fine.

You want something that stays pliable for the best seal.

Good luck.

Scott,
Congrats on finishing and flying your new RV!

I'm phase one with my new F1 as well. Was out doing stalls and slow speed today.

Not sure where your practice area is but if you're coming this way give me a yell. I'd bet there's a place within reach for both of us. I'm 100nm radius of CDI.

Wonderful accomplishment....enjoy your new RV and fly safe!

Scott, silicone is not too friendly for later painting. Latex should do fine.

You want something that stays pliable for the best seal.

Good luck.

TRY THIS..........Sikaflex 1a Construction Sealant. Apply like Mike said. But wedge the canopy up a little to give the finished seal some squish....... It is a Polyurethane.