Hello,

I recently heard about a fastback conversion kit avalilable for RV8s and would like to hear form anyone who has installed such a kit to their RV.

Any information concerning performance and installation would be greatly appreciated especially data on airspeed, handling characteristics, manoeuvrability etc.

The link to the manufacturer is found below:-

http://www.showplanes.com

Thanks in advance,

Fastback RV-8 conversion

Cam:

I don't know much about the conversion, but I know that showplanes is owned by Butch and Brian Milani. On of the fastback 8s has one of our IO-390 engines in it, and Dave Hilker's has one of our IO-540 engines. There was recently a thread about that specific airplane here on the list, but there was not a lot of technical information. I don't believe that either owner participates in the list (to the best of my knowledge.)

It might be easiest to get information by calling Showplanes and asking for references.

Good luck.

Rhonda Barrett-Bewley
Barrett Precision Engines, Inc.
Tulsa, OK
(918) 835-1089 phone
www.barrettprecisionengines.com

Hi Cam,

The kit isn't that old so I can't see a lot of them being in the air yet.

I don't have the kit so I don't really know the answers you are looking for BUT I wouldn't think there to be much difference in the airspeed, handling characteristics, maneuverability resulting from the install of the just the kit.

Now with the addition of a IO-390 or a IO-540, that would make quite a difference.

Cam:

Send me an e-mail and I'll give you the infor I have on Vans and on the Clark Kit, this PM. [email protected]. The Showplanes.com kit looks awsome, but I want my roll bar.

I am installing the Clark FB mod on my 8QB. Tom (Clark) is a great person to work with and the kit is nicely done.

The kit consists of 4 new (fully formed) upper fuselage formers and a track brace. The formers are riveted to the existing formers after the original tops are cut off. Then a new upper skin is attached.

The canopy frame is modifed to fit the new deck and a different canopy is used. The frame mod looks simple, although some welding is required. The canopy is a standard item available from Todd at Airplane Plastics in Ohio for about $1000.

I like the Clark kit because it uses a slider and was reasonably priced. I wanted the fastback for the looks and any gratis speed gain (none really expected). I have an IO-390X and a BA Hartzell extended hub ready to install and I will order the James cowl soon. I hope to go a "little" faster...

Tom's website (http://www.members.cox.net/rv8fastback/) has the details and prices.

Deene Ogden
EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
CFII, MEI, CFIG

I sent this email to showplanes last week. I am interested on their kit mainly because it has a one piece canopy and will give me an uninterrupted field of view out of the cockpit.

My email:
Sir,
Could you tell me which parts I need to eliminated from the Vans RV-8 slow build kit in order to install your fast back option. I will be ordering the slow build fuselage before the end of the year. Also, is your kit compatible with the new fully prepunched RV-8 fuselage? Thank you.

Showplane response:
Axel,
Thank you for your interest in this mod, I have not seen the new match-hole fuselage but I don't believe it would affect the installation of the Fast Back. Here is the list of parts you do not want to order it is a savings of about $800.00. Please let me know if you have more questions.
Regard's,
Bryan Milani

Standard build fuselage kit
P/N Description
F-825PP Aft fuse. Skin
F-816APP-L Cockpit side rail
F-816APP-R Cockpit side rail
WD-814-PC Windscreen support
C-833C Aft seat top

Quickbuild fuselage kit
WD-814-PC Windscreen support
C-833C Aft seat top